What about Music ?

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
For the last three days, I've been listening to Tom Jones' latest album, Surrounded By Time (2021). It's great; at age 80 (he's 82 now), his voice was as powerful as ever!

The album has playful pop songs, like Pop Star, and tender, reflective ballads, like I'm Growing Old, as well. On the surface, it's a cover album, but it also functions as a concept album and a late-career artistic statement - since I didn't know the songs before, it almost feels like original material to me. My favourite is probably Bob Dylan's One More Cup of Coffee.

There's a chance I might be able to see him live this summer (I've already seen him perform once, in 2011).

Mb3

RR Diner
Apr 12, 2022
For the last three days, I've been listening to Tom Jones' latest album, Surrounded By Time (2021). It's great; at age 80 (he's 82 now), his voice was as powerful as ever!

The album has playful pop songs, like Pop Star, and tender, reflective ballads, like I'm Growing Old, as well. On the surface, it's a cover album, but it also functions as a concept album and a late-career artistic statement - since I didn't know the songs before, it almost feels like original material to me. My favourite is probably Bob Dylan's One More Cup of Coffee.

There's a chance I might be able to see him live this summer (I've already seen him perform once, in 2011).
I've only heard the song Pop Star on the radio but from listening to that I've got to agree, he's still got a great voice. I hope you get to see him on tour again soon.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
This almost sounds like something out of the original Twin Peaks:

By the way, a really good film. Would certainly recommend it, especially to those who enjoy film noir.

hopesfall

Sparkwood & 21
Apr 12, 2022
Any fellow fans of The Specials or of 2-tone in general will be sad to learn that Terry Hall passed away last night. A sad day here in Coventry. 😔

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
Hey just discovering this thread. I know nothing about The Specials, can anyone recommend an album?

My favorite bands are They Might Be Giants and the Rheostatics. I actually have a fairly obsessive podcast about TMBG called Don't Let's Start: A Podcast About They Might Be Giants. Twin Peaks and Lynch comes up quite a lot on there just because it's an obsessive point of reference for me.

Other favorite bands, basically college rock artsy stuff: Talking Heads, The Smiths/Morrissey, Frank Black, XTC, Camper Van Beethoven, Violent Femmes, April March, Cynthia Hopkins, Liz Phair, Yo La Tengo, etc, etc. The Beatles of course, I am very knowledgeable in. I love 60s jangly pop stuff in general (the Turtles, the Monkees, etc, etc.)

I also am a songwriter myself. My bands are Trouble's Afoot and Sally. Short melodic fun songs. I'm also a composer and have scored various things here and there.

Lynch's music and the music he's involved in with his films and Twin Peaks are probably the most starkly DIFFERENT things that take over my iPod and music collection. And I love that. It's a great break from my usual thing. Dreamy, ethereal, spooky stuff.

Rigpa

RR Diner
Apr 13, 2022
Hey just discovering this thread. I know nothing about The Specials, can anyone recommend an album?
I’d recommend their first album from 1979, The Specials, produced by Elvis Costello. Here’s a fun video of the first track on the album, Message to you Rudy. (Egads, can that really be 44 years ago? Sigh.)

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
I’d recommend their first album from 1979, The Specials, produced by Elvis Costello. Here’s a fun video of the first track on the album, Message to you Rudy. (Egads, can that really be 44 years ago? Sigh.)

Oh, I do know that song...it's fun.

MasterMastermnd

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
I have a lot of different favorites. Guided by Voices, Deftones, MF DOOM, Tori Amos, Liz Phair, Gorillaz, Snoop, SOPHIE, anything from Mike Patton, Nujabes, Kanye West before he lost it, Priests, Nick Cave, and jazz artists like John Coltrane and Hiromi Uehara. I listen to a lot of the doom jazz artists like Bohren and der Club of Gore as well.

Two artists I would love to see play The Roadhouse would be Sky Ferreira, who actually played a character in season 3, and Angel Olsen. Angel is so perfect for the Roadhouse I at times forget she *didn't* play it in season 3. Shut Up, Kiss Me has great Roadhouse energy.

Rigpa

RR Diner
Apr 13, 2022
RIP TOM VERLAINE

So sad to hear this. Marquee Moon was such an original, pivotal work, influencing the New Wave and indie rock groups to come. Verlaine’s guitar playing and lyrics were on a whole new level. I was in my 20s and working in Manhattan during the 1970s and ’80s, and a New Wave freak, so this passing hits me hard. RIP 🌹