Walking Dead: Dead City (general WD spoilers)

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I’m not really a fan of Walking Dead, I’ve only watched maybe the first season and some random eps over the years.

But… it seems so insane that Maggie would move to NYC with Negan, considering what he did to her husband. Like I get that the zombie apocalypse has “situational ethics” to say the least, but this one is really mind blowing.

Granted I’m not really engaged with this franchise in a meaningful way, but every time I see an ad for this spinoff I feel very confused.

To put it in Twin Peaks terms, this feels like… Bobby Briggs going on a cross country road trip with Leland Palmer or something.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
I’m not really a fan of Walking Dead, I’ve only watched maybe the first season and some random eps over the years.

But… it seems so insane that Maggie would move to NYC with Negan, considering what he did to her husband. Like I get that the zombie apocalypse has “situational ethics” to say the least, but this one is really mind blowing.

Well, their complicated friendship and mutual respect in the show was developed in those final two or three seasons. So if you didn't see any of that, I reckon that would be confusing.

BTW, I was a background extra in an episode, one of my most fun experiences doing that ever. You barely, barely see me though, but hanging out with zombies all night and watching them shoot a zombie scene was a dream come true for me. Not that I'm a Walking Dead fan (love the comic, not the show) but I'm a huge horror fan.

Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 3.50.55 AM copy.png

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
Wow, that sounds like a fun gig! Your post reminded me of something random — I had a college instructor who was a zombie in Romero’s original Day of the Dead. He’s only in two shots. Totally nice and pleasant person IRL.

But apologies for my disingenuous critique of TWD — it’s disingenuous for me to criticize their creative decisions when I’m not willing to engage with the work and not give the creators the opportunity to disprove any of my digs.

Jackwithoneeye

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 14, 2022
re Negan.

They seem to have taken a page of the Don Draper playbook, that the 'evil' Negan who cackles and makes jokes and beats people to death with Lucy the bat is a 'mask' that Negan wears, it's a performance that he puts on to assert dominance, make his enemies fear him, protect his tribe.

JDM is a remarkably versatile performer, if a director wants to get any number of different emotions and personalities out of him, he seems able to pull it off really well. He can do reflective, sad, grieving, as well as funny and nasty, threatening. When he eviscerated a guy's guts in Dead City while making jokes, and then turns and sees Maggie, and his face turns to shame, it's like masterclass of acting.

It's a bit flawed all in all, I can go with Negan using an authoritarian persona to reign in a communal structure in a world of chaos where there is a vacuum of society. Some of his acts though in the 2015-2017 villain era, throwing that doctor into a furnace in public and burning him to death, and subjecting women to sex slavery to being his wives, seemed to be in line with him being a generic devil incarnate villain at that moment, and there was little foresight into these other psychological dimensions at the time.

There's an element of filler across the spectrum of walking dead shows. Morgan goes back and forth all the time with the pacifism stuff, and the Colman Domingo character on Fear is all over the lot. Often feels like repertory theater, actors are the same characters in name, but playing different sub characters of that characters. Seems like getting shows in the can and pumping them out is the name of the game.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
I think the comic did Negan's arc a lot better. They don't really do the "mask" thing, and he still feels like the same character, but he just has a genuine realization that Rick and his crew are better at this game than he is, and he realizes it's in his best interest to stick with them and play nice, but then he gradually starts to care about Carl and some of the other people, all while still being kind of an asshole.

But I agree with you that JDM is such a great, watchable actor that he can nail anything they throw at him. I wish I got to see him on set.

Jackwithoneeye

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 14, 2022
yeah, I havent read the Negan era comis. I read some of the early ones.

sometimes I think JDM is wasting his talent on zombie shows, but a job's a job I guess.

Colman Domingo, similarly, is always reaching into the actor's toolbox, can be sympathetic hero and snarling villain on Fear , his character will decide well, being bad is my "true nature". So I'll do this for awhile. Also, a versatile actor.