anyone is watching it ?

Key_Art_S4.jpg

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
anyone is watching it ?

Key_Art_S4.jpg
Yeah!

Fuches’s latest about-face being inspired by Rain Man was hilarious. Very intrigued by the flashbacks to Barry’s childhood and where that will lead, although we didn’t get one this week. Henry Winkler and Fred Melamed continue to be a dynamic comedic duo. The sequence of them breaking into Patrick Fischler’s house was a comedic masterpiece. Wondering if next week’s episode will just be one long prison break episode.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
Have not watched new season yet. I have kind of conflicted feelings about the show, though I mostly like it. I think it's kind of over-praised....

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I really enjoyed Yellowjackets Season 1, but haven’t had time for S2 between new Succession and Star Trek: Picard eps, plus my Friday Night Lights re-watch.

Highest recommendation for Friday Night Lights btw. The subject matter is not inherently interesting to me (high school football in a small town in Texas), but the performances, visual style and atmospheric post rock soundtrack place this series in a category all its own.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
And I’ve been watching the new Beavis and Buttheads off and on, and oh my god, the adult B&B segments are kind of depressing af! There’s obviously comedy in there, but seeing them end up this way is just sad, although not terribly surprising.

secretlettermkr

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
Yeah!

Fuches’s latest about-face being inspired by Rain Man was hilarious. Very intrigued by the flashbacks to Barry’s childhood and where that will lead, although we didn’t get one this week. Henry Winkler and Fred Melamed continue to be a dynamic comedic duo. The sequence of them breaking into Patrick Fischler’s house was a comedic masterpiece. Wondering if next week’s episode will just be one long prison break episode.
I think Barry has very "Lynchean" moments, and overall a very COEN BROS style. Bill Hader (who directs this whole season) is doing an amzing job. Pacing, tone, its perfect. The balance between humor and suspense and creepyness... its all so perfect. Im enjoying this show big time.

Agent Earle

Great Northern Hotel
Apr 12, 2022
Just started Succession (after reaching the end of Better Call Saul), I'm two episodes into the first season and really enjoying it - the characters clicked instantly for me! Friday Night Lights was on my short list but will have to wait now till I get through Succession - I've been hearing many great things about that show and I very much like the template of an ensemble show with high-school football serving as a canvas to tell personal stories of rural township inhabitants and deal with their everyday issues. I'm about as far from a sports fan as it gets, but seeing this is modern (ie. post-Sopranos) TV, I'm not concerned in the slightest about the series having trouble pulling me in; plus I like the actor playing the main protagonist (the coach) so I think I'll be good.

Last edited:

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
I think Barry has very "Lynchean" moments, and overall a very COEN BROS style. Bill Hader (who directs this whole season) is doing an amzing job. Pacing, tone, its perfect. The balance between humor and suspense and creepyness... its all so perfect. Im enjoying this show big time.

That's my issue with it. It feels like Hader is just a big fan of these things (especially Breaking Bad) and is just sort of copying it? It doesn't feel very unique to me. It's entertaining, sure. But...?

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I watched the first several eps of Barry and enjoyed them, but for whatever reason I never kept up with it.

Love the “Sandy Passage” and “Dronez” eps of Documentary Now!, Hader’s documentary parody show w/ Fred Armisen.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
Anyone have any feelings about the Succession finale?

It certainly had a punch, and the outcomes made a lot of sense, but I don’t know. Part of me felt like “that’s it?”

I’m still processing it, but not loving the finale at the moment.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
I watched the first several eps of Barry and enjoyed them, but for whatever reason I never kept up with it.

Love the “Sandy Passage” and “Dronez” eps of Documentary Now!, Hader’s documentary parody show w/ Fred Armisen.

I am baffled by Documentary Now. I watched several episodes. There's no jokes. It's just an exercise in copying documentary formats, but it's not a comedy show, and doesn't add any humor. I don't understand the point.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I am baffled by Documentary Now. I watched several episodes. There's no jokes. It's just an exercise in copying documentary formats, but it's not a comedy show, and doesn't add any humor. I don't understand the point.
Tbh I couldn’t stand Fred Armisen for most of his run on SNL, but then I saw Portlandia and his style just “clicked” for me.

But Doc Now is weird, in that each episode is so tonally different. Honestly I don’t care for the Spalding Gray or Talking Heads eps, despite being familiar with the subject matter. The only three that I ever revisit are “Dronez”, “Sandy Passage” and I guess “Blue Jean Committee”.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
But Doc Now is weird, in that each episode is so tonally different. Honestly I don’t care for the Spalding Gray or Talking Heads eps, despite being familiar with the subject matter. The only three that I ever revisit are “Dronez”, “Sandy Passage” and I guess “Blue Jean Committee”.

The Talking Heads one is one of the ones I watched because I am a massive Talking Heads fan. It had absolutely no humor in it. It had no jokes, no sense of parody, as in, we're emulating this thing but putting a comedic spin on it. I seriously didn't get the point. I kept waiting for something funny to happen.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
I wrote a big 30,000 word piece on the first season of The X-Files, but have decided to do it as a video essay so people can see it in motion, as films (and tv) are meant to be seen that way!

Woh. I want to see. X-Files is my one true love. I think it's the most beautiful show that's ever been filmed.