The Television Thread

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
tv static.gif

General discussion on television goes here.

Feel free to start new threads. Make sure to use spoiler tags. See guide below:

Tabbed spoilers:
Screenshot_20220414-154732_Chrome.jpg
we all did

Inline spoilers:
Screenshot_20220427-201605_Chrome.jpg
Who killed Laura Palmer? We all did, of course!

OneMoreChapter

Special Agent
OG DUGPA MOD
Apr 12, 2022
The screencap of the TV from FWWM should be used here LOL. Maybe something more hopeful as well to balance it out.

Last edited:

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
Anyone watching Moon Knight?

Not only is it a great show (weaker third episode notwithstanding) but there some direct and indirect nods to Twin Peaks (and our website name) sprinkled in. Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawk both give award-worthy performances.

Fantastic directorial team consisting of Mohamed Diab (Cario 678) and Benson & Moorhead (Synchronic).

Six episode limited series on Disney+.

Ickles

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
I've been watching Moon Knight. Really like it so far. Actually really loved the third episode. Felt like the narrative needed a little shake-up, which it delivered. Curious to see where it goes from here.

Last edited:

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
I've been watching Moon Knight. Really like it so far. Actually really loved the third episode, actually. Felt like the narrative needed a little shake-up, which it delivered. Curious to see where it goes from here.

Oh boy, you're in for a treat! Four and five are some of the best stuff Marvel have done so far, imo.

Ickles

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
Oh whoops. I think I was thinking episode 3 was episode 4. Sorry, too much TV and episode numbers swimming in my head! 4 was the one I was referencing as loving with the narrative shake-up. 3 was just okay. Looking forward to episode 5, which is the only one I haven't seen yet.

Ickles

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
Speaking of new TV...anybody else catch the S3 premiere of Barry? Or generally any Barry fans? It's probably my favorite show currently on the air (until they bring back Perry Mason, anyway). Really excited to see where season 3 goes from here.

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
I've been meaning to start Barry for years. Should get going now.

Rigpa

RR Diner
Apr 13, 2022
Just watched the second episode. Amazing how this show can make me laugh out loud one moment, and touch me with pathos the next. Such a great show. Hader and Winkler are powerful together in this episode.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I'm interested in Moon Knight, but I've been overwhelmed with MCU since they've started making Disney+ series, and I just can't keep up. I'm not that much of a TV series person, and I've been into Star Trek for the last year and a half, so if you combine that with the fact that I watch a lot of films, there's not enough time in my life for more than one franchise.

I will go see the new Doctor Strange on Friday, so I'm definitely not done with MCU, but TV series-wise, so far I've only seen the first season of Loki.

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
Thoughts on the finale?

Decent. The action was visually interesting and pleasant to look at. It was brisk and provided enough closure without tying everything up in a neat bow. Even the "cliffhangers" could easily be open ended finales if there's no more after this.

Doesn't reach the emotional heights of E4 and E5 but it never would have anyway

Ickles

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
Emmy nominations out today: Emmys 2022: Complete Nominations List

Mostly pretty standard Emmys M.O.

Some highlights (for me):
-Severance doing pretty well (14 nominations! Adam Scott for Lead Actor in a Drama!)
-Only Murders in the Building doing well (probably my current favorite comedy on TV)
-Strong nods for Barry
-Yay for Hacks
-Yellowjackets getting recognized, especially Ricci for supporting
-Rhea Seehorn! 🙌
-The voters finally realizing that maybe just nominating like every cast member of SNL in the comedy acting categories might not be the best use of limited spots
-You are not missed, Yellowstone

Some lowlights:
-Where the hell is Selena Gomez for OMITB? She's arguably the heart and soul of that show and emotionally anchors S1.
-Ditto for Britt Lower in Severance. Of all the acting performances to ignore...
-...and same applies to Sarah Goldberg for Barry S3. Really dropping the ball on Supporting Actress nods.
-No love for Our Flag Means Death
-Speaking of snubs...Gil Birmingham for Under the Banner of Heaven was robbed
-What the hell is Reese Witherspoon doing there? The last season of The Morning Show was a joke (and not the funny kind)
-Maybe when I tried watching Euphoria I did it wrong? Because it came across as fairly hollow overly stylized soapy teen horseshit, not awards season fodder 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
Emmy nominations out today: Emmys 2022: Complete Nominations List

Mostly pretty standard Emmys M.O.

Some highlights (for me):
-Severance doing pretty well (14 nominations! Adam Scott for Lead Actor in a Drama!)
-Only Murders in the Building doing well (probably my current favorite comedy on TV)
-Strong nods for Barry
-Yay for Hacks
-Yellowjackets getting recognized, especially Ricci for supporting
-Rhea Seehorn! 🙌
-The voters finally realizing that maybe just nominating like every cast member of SNL in the comedy acting categories might not be the best use of limited spots
-You are not missed, Yellowstone

Some lowlights:
-Where the hell is Selena Gomez for OMITB? She's arguably the heart and soul of that show and emotionally anchors S1.
-Ditto for Britt Lower in Severance. Of all the acting performances to ignore...
-...and same applies to Sarah Goldberg for Barry S3. Really dropping the ball on Supporting Actress nods.
-No love for Our Flag Means Death
-Speaking of snubs...Gil Birmingham for Under the Banner of Heaven was robbed
-What the hell is Reese Witherspoon doing there? The last season of The Morning Show was a joke (and not the funny kind)
-Maybe when I tried watching Euphoria I did it wrong? Because it came across as fairly hollow overly stylized soapy teen horseshit, not awards season fodder 🤷‍♂️

What was the qualifying period again?

Ickles

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
Anything I didn't mention that sticks out for you? Generally I don't hold out high hopes for major awards bodies so I wasn't expecting perfection.

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
I could not disagree more. I absolutely hate the trend in streaming to unceremoniously drop an entire season of a TV show at once.
I have every sympathy with your view. Thing is, I stopped watching broadcast TV over 20 years ago and started buying (then) DVD boxsets. I'm not interested in sports, so I haven't watched a programme got out 'live' in all that time. When people mention certain commercials currently on TV, I look at them blankly. When TV presenters are mentioned, I have no idea who they are talking about. I simply don't care about the broadcast media industry (and I go out of my way to avoid television jobs!)

Watching a TV show on a weekly basis is a behaviour that's completely alien to me. I dislike it, because I like to watch things at my own pace. I'm the same with comic books: I buy trade paperback compilations, not the monthly issues. I actually found, back in the first half of the 2010s, that when Netflix took to dropping entire seasons on streaming there were more work discussions about TV shows than I'd heard in years back in the early days, when Arrested Development 4, Orange is the New Black, Hemlock Grove, the Marvel series and so on began showing up.

It goes to show people like things in different ways. But I bitterly regret watching TP:TR on a weekly basis and I look forward to watching it again at my own rate.

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
Same. Also it might be a little out of character for the solemn and underspoken Hawk to actually run for the public office of Sheriff. That seems more like something small town sports star Bobby Briggs would do.
Given Bobby's daughter's problems and Bobby's own history as a murderer, it could lead to an interesting storyline for Sheriff Briggs...