The Sandman Cometh

secretlettermkr

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
IDK if excited is the word, Im interested in see what they did, but mostly concerned. Being Netflix and and after watching the trailers,... I dont have much hope that its going to be really good, but we will see soon enough.

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
Thought the trailer had some intriguing imagery but the edgy tone felt a bit too teen angsty.

But it was something I had no interest in before and now I'll probably watch it. So it did its job, I guess.

secretlettermkr

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
Have you
Thought the trailer had some intriguing imagery but the edgy tone felt a bit too teen angsty.

But it was something I had no interest in before and now I'll probably watch it. So it did its job, I guess.
Have you read the comics?

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
The comic is probably the best ongoing comic book series I’ve ever read (i.e., not a limited self-contained thing like Watchmen). Expert mythology and character-building over 75 issues. I’m not too excited about the show though. David Goyer has written some perfectly fine superhero movies (Blade, the Nolan Dark Knight films) as well as some not so good ones, but I don’t think he has the nuance for this material. And honestly, as big a fan as I am of Gaiman’s literary and comic works, American Gods has sort of soured me on him as a TV producer of his own adaptations. The firing of Bryan Fuller after the stellar first season of that show seemed petty and the subsequent progression of increasingly “safe” choices as show runner was really disappointing. The choice of Goyer here seems very much in the same vein.

Last edited:

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
You guys have convinced me to check out the comic. It'll be the first I've really tackled. Never got into it as a kid for reasons of access.

What's the best way to read/experience it?

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
The collected editions are numbered in straightforward fashion and can be easily found on Amazon. The best and priciest versions are the Absolute Editions, which have lots of extras and bells and whistles, but the regular paperback collections contain the same story and are way cheaper.

One thing to keep in mind is that the first collection contains a storyline that prominently uses a DC Comics character who pre-existed the Sandman series. I think the storyline is still enjoyable on its own, but it might feel a bit more “insider baseball.” After that, the series settles firmly into its own self-contained universe and you won’t have to worry about knowledge of anything else.

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
Thanks.

Are the omnibus editions worthwhile? I'm rather fussy about aesthetics and have very limited shelf space so if I go for something I'd prefer it to look good on the wall, too.

But with these huge collated editions of fiction they're usually better to look at than they are to read cover-to-cover. Perhaps they're options for after I've read the series.

I was considering buying this edition of American Gods just based on the design alone. Sadly, Folio haven't done one for The Sandman.

The Folio Society are great.

Last edited:

secretlettermkr

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
My issue with this upcoming version, for what I could peep on the trailers, is that is too clean. Sandman specially the first two or three story arcs, is pretty gritty, dark, and surreal. Some of the actors they've choses seem all too young, to pretty, the wardrobe is too "designed", idk... it just doesn't have the feel of the comics. Some other visual are spot on, and we'll see when the thing is out, but...

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
My issue with this upcoming version, for what I could peep on the trailers, is that is too clean. Sandman specially the first two or three story arcs, is pretty gritty, dark, and surreal. Some of the actors they've choses seem all too young, to pretty, the wardrobe is too "designed", idk... it just doesn't have the feel of the comics. Some other visual are spot on, and we'll see when the thing is out, but...

Yeah I got that a bit too even without a reference point.

But some stuff does look very good. I'm actually looking forward to it.

I think I'll watch the show before reading the comic, though.

If the book is better then another thing to loom forward to and also prevents the subconscious urge to hold the show up to the book as if it owes the source material deference in how it's adapted.

secretlettermkr

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
Yeah I got that a bit too even without a reference point.

But some stuff does look very good. I'm actually looking forward to it.

I think I'll watch the show before reading the comic, though.

If the book is better then another thing to loom forward to and also prevents the subconscious urge to hold the show up to the book as if it owes the source material deference in how it's adapted.
You can read the first volume free online at

And of course, there are sites to read the whole series online too.

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
Well this is all very promising.