The Film Thread

Agent Earle

Great Northern Hotel
Apr 12, 2022
Prince Of Darkness is one of his best movies imo
Absolutely! SO, so underrated in every aspect. In my mind, the movie's completely on the level of Halloween, The Fog, and The Thing, and maybe in some scenes even surpasses them in the feeling of sheer cosmic horror that it evokes. Anyway, these four and In the Mouth of Madness are my favourite of Carpenter's canon - these are as good as it gets!

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I'm really excited for Halloween Ends -- David Gordon Green's recent Halloween films have been more true to Carpenter's original vision of The Shape than any of the other sequels IMO.

secretlettermkr

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
I'm really excited for Halloween Ends -- David Gordon Green's recent Halloween films have been more true to Carpenter's original vision of The Shape than any of the other sequels IMO.
The first one was really good, the second one, Halloween Kills was AWFULL, such a train wreck.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
The first one was really good, the second one, Halloween Kills was AWFULL, such a train wreck.
I guess I'm in the opposite camp -- Halloween 2018 was good, but Kills was great IMO. No plot contrivance in the form of Dr. Sartain or Laurie's over the top Home Alone fortress, just Michael Myers trying to go home again and all the delusional citizens of Haddonfield throwing themselves in front of him. I do think that one hospital sequence was a little too drawn out and melodramatic though. I will concede that the recent flicks don't do as well with the Laurie Strode character as H20, but that's about the only of H20's strengths..

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
Really enjoyed Nope. It felt very Spielberg-esque in parts, and I mean that in the good way! And I don't want to get too in depth, but I really appreciated the lack of any explanation, especially in terms of how the Gordy stuff connects with "Jean Jacket". The massive exposition dump at the end of Us really diminished that film IMO.

Agent Earle

Great Northern Hotel
Apr 12, 2022
I guess I'm in the opposite camp -- Halloween 2018 was good, but Kills was great IMO. No plot contrivance in the form of Dr. Sartain or Laurie's over the top Home Alone fortress, just Michael Myers trying to go home again and all the delusional citizens of Haddonfield throwing themselves in front of him. I do think that one hospital sequence was a little too drawn out and melodramatic though. I will concede that the recent flicks don't do as well with the Laurie Strode character as H20, but that's about the only of H20's strengths..
I haven't seen any of the recent Halloween films (the last one of that "universe" that I watched was Rob Zombie's 2007 remake) but I remember liking H20 quite a bit back in the day, though it came out during the period when horror genre was littered with teenie-weenie slashers in Scream mode - decidedly not my favourite period. I guess you could accuse H20 of this, as well, but the connection with the original two movies it was establishing felt genuine and heart-felt to me, so I guess that was what salvaged it. Plus I really liked the cast in it (everyone from Adam Arkin to LL Cool J), and MM is as brutal as ever... What was it about the movie that you disliked?

Last edited:

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I haven't seen any of the recent Halloween films (the last one of that "universe" that I watched was Rob Zombie's 2007 remake) but I remember liking H20 quite a bit back in the day, though it came out during the period when horror genre was littered with teenie-weenie slashers in Scream mode - decidedly not my favourite period. I guess you could accuse H20 of this, as well, but the connection with the original two movies it was establishing felt genuine and heart-felt to me, so I guess that was what salvaged it. Plus I really liked the cast in it (everyone from Adam Arkin to LL Cool J), and MM is as brutal as ever... What was it about the movie that you disliked?
I think the movie does a few things right. The relationship between Laurie and her son feels very genuine and nuanced. And the whole dumbwaiter sequence is one of my favorite kills of the entire franchise.
But personally I don't like this iteration of MM. His mask and hair design lack any sense of menace for me. Also the MM actor here tends to move with this plodding malaise -- A lot of the Halloween films are guilty of this though, as some directors and performers aren't able to pull off what made the slow moving Shape so frightening in the first film, depicting him as little more than a boring version of Jason Voorhees.
I do prefer H20's version of Laurie Strode though. The moment where she decides to go back inside the school to confront MM is stronger than anything she has so far done in the recent films. I wish we could've seen H20 Laurie go up against the MM of the recent flicks.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
Also I do like the ending of H20, its one of the more gratifying of the entire series. We can just pretend like Halloween Resurrection never happened, lol.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
I will pop in to say I really hate the new Halloween movies, and I recently rewatched H20 (dumbest title in film history, ever, yeah?) and...it's practically perfect? I honestly feel it did everything basically exactly right for that kind of legacy horror sequel. Curtis is fantastic in it, and I love that while she clearly has issues and trauma from her experience as a teenager, she's still basically a sane, together woman with a life, not just a wacky obsessive nutjob like in the new films. I hate how the new Halloween films undo H20, when H20 covered similar ground with so much more care.

David Gordon Green's films feel weird to me, like something is off about them. They feel like fan fiction and like Green is too in love with himself, like he's so ultra confident about how to make a good Halloween movie and he's going to show all those sequels how it's REALLY done. But what makes those 70s and 80s horror franchises fun is that they are messy and not super graceful and they aren't in love with themselves. They were just pumping them out and that gives them a charm I find lacking in these new films. I find it hard to articulate this point though.

hopesfall

Sparkwood & 21
Apr 12, 2022
I thought this might interest a few people on here. A scene from the 1927 film Metropolis, in colour. Done quite tastefully IMO.

I'm still blown away by some of the visuals in this film. Especially for its time, it was incredibly well made.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
One weird criticism of Halloween 2018: Michael Myers had only killed 5 people at the beginning of that film, yet the podcasters and everyone else acts like he is the most dangerous criminal ever.

For context, Richard Speck killed 7 or 8 nurses in one night, Jeffrey Dahmer claimed about 20 victims in his lifetime, and I think John Wayne Gacy was responsible for well over 30. So what exactly makes Michael Myers so devilish in this continuity? Its almost like characters in H40 are somehow aware of Michael's acts from all the non-canon sequels. MM's notoriety kind of doesn't make sene without any movies between the original and 2018.

But maybe this is a moot point, as MM goes on to break free in 2018 and claim around 30 lives in one night, thereby validating everyone's opinion of him.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
At this point I wanna see a Michael Myers Multiverse flick where all the different Shapes (original Curse of Thorn MM, MM post-getting beat down by Busta Rhymes in Resurrection, grungey Rob Zombie MM, and old man Myers from 2018) team up to take down the Silver Shamrock Corporation from H3 Season of the Witch.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
One weird criticism of Halloween 2018: Michael Myers had only killed 5 people at the beginning of that film, yet the podcasters and everyone else acts like he is the most dangerous criminal ever.

Yes, thank you, this point kind of eluded me when I was writing my post last night. What drove me crazy about these movies is that the characters seem to be responding to the *legacy of Halloween films* but not the actual reality of what happened, and Green simultaneously declares none of the sequels ever happened, but then the characters act like Myers killed for years and years and etc and etc. Pick one. It could have been an interesting angle to embrace how small an event it was in the context of other things, show the horror in a mostly ignored, relatively minor event from decades earlier, whatever. Green wants it both ways.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I don't want to derail this thread from the Halloween films (I haven't seen them yet), so please do continue the discussion regardless of this post; I just wanted to ask if anyone is planning to watch Blonde (2022), directed by Andrew Dominik, tonight? It premieres on Netflix today. I'm excited about it, partially because of its subject, partially because of its director, and partially because of the NC-17 rating and the controversies surrounding it.