SPECULATION Season 4 or something else – What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

Ickles

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
Re: the Carpenter series...the remote directing thing is definitely intriguing, especially hearing Von Trier has done it too. Might be a decent solution for Lynch getting up there and not as into leaving the house for a grueling marathon shoot. Although the old fuddy duddy in me agrees a lot would be lost by not tactically being on set. Not sure that would be Lynch's style but maybe after the grind that was TPTR shoot he'd more open minded to it.

But the part of the Carpenter news I find most interesting is the fact that a director of that caliber was able to direct a series basically in secret. As far as I know there were no leaks about it, nothing in production listings, it's not even listed on his imdb page yet. No cast listed, no studio listed. Maybe super hardcore fans have been poring over rumors for months but google doesn't really offer much beyond the recent news post-Carpenter announcement. Even in his recent Cahiers Du Cinema interview (same issue as Lynch) he didn't mention anything about it. That gives me a bit of hope that somebody like Lynch could direct something similarly in secret without any leaks coming out before he's ready to announce it himself.

Last edited:

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
That gives me a bit of hope that somebody like Lynch could direct something similarly in secret without any leaks coming out before he's ready to announce it himself.
That's what I immediately thought too. It all sounds very similar to what we've been speculating about Lynch these past few years.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
Honestly, I'd rather Lynch not direct anything than make something from his couch. That really just depresses me. I feel like the magic would really be gone if he did that. Like I said, anyone who watched behind the scenes materials knows. I don't want a watered down, half involved, tired and/or lazy Lynch as director.

I hope he doesn't do it.

Sparky

Great Northern Hotel
Apr 12, 2022
Honestly, I'd rather Lynch not direct anything than make something from his couch. That really just depresses me. I feel like the magic would really be gone if he did that. Like I said, anyone who watched behind the scenes materials knows. I don't want a watered down, half involved, tired and/or lazy Lynch as director.

I hope he doesn't do it.
I’m not so sure. Most of us would be watching it from our sofas. Who’s to say that the experience would improve if we’re removing a layer between the creator and audience

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
Personally… I don’t care about the specific process behind it, as long as Lynch has time and space to pursue his vision and tease out half-ideas for the cameras. I’ll watch whatever he does, unless he starts doing big studio pictures with existing IP’s again. Which… I would still watch anyway, so nevermind.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
I think if Lynch were to direct remotely, and this is all obviously pure conjecture, he’d find a way to use the setup to his advantage to create something none of us could even envision. It’s not my preferred way to see him work either, but it’s presumptuous for anyone to assume that a circumstance would hinder Lynch’s creativity as opposed to inspiring him.

Apropos of nothing, this all makes me think of the part of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy where the world’s loudest rock band has to play their instruments remotely from a space shuttle orbiting the planet where the concert takes place. Douglas Adams was ahead of his time.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I don't want a watered down, half involved, tired and/or lazy Lynch as director.
I get what you mean, I'm kind of a purist myself. But we cannot assume what Lynch might or might not gain from such circumstances... If he ever decides to direct from "his couch", I'm certain that it wouldn't be watered down or half involved. If anyone's always tried to remain true to themselves and their working process, it's Lynch.

Last edited:

Mordeen

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 18, 2022
I just took Mordeen’s comment as a joke on this bit from Cappy.
No, it's not subterfuge or innuendo. A friend sent me a pic of a photoshop I did for The Woolhouse Boys Facebook group. I waxed nostalgic and decided to post it in remembrance of when the fandom was on FIRE and we shared a common joy.

No implications intended. I'm completely in the dark right now.

- Mordeen

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
Billy Zane has had a strange career. From John Justice Wheeler, to the villain in one of the biggest films of all time (Titanic), to the ridiculous cameos as himself in the Zoolander films, and recently a bit role as PT Barnum in an episode of “Legends of Tomorrow”.

And according to Wikipedia, he is an established painter of the abstract expressionist variety.

But for most of us he will always be the Twin Peaks version of (Where’s) Waldo.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I suppose if Lynch had to do a Marvel movie, Deadpool would be one of the better options.

Maybe something like Wonder Man would be a better fit though, if for nothing other than the fact that Wonder Man lives in LA, the setting of some of Lynch’s best films.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
If Lynch had to do a Marvel movie (I feel scandalous for even typing that), my picks would be:

- Sleepwalker (obscure character who falls asleep and kind of astral projects a superhero)
- Man-Thing
- Dr. Strange
- Fantastic Four, some sort of Negative Zone adventure (it's like a really psychedelic weird dimension)
- Multiple Man (doopppelllgaaanger...)
- Quasar (cosmic insanity)
- Silver Surfer (more cosmic insanity)
- Peter Milligan's X-Force/X-Factor (Hollywood satire and real weird shit)

Mordeen

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 18, 2022
Billy Zane has had a strange career. From John Justice Wheeler, to the villain in one of the biggest films of all time (Titanic), to the ridiculous cameos as himself in the Zoolander films, and recently a bit role as PT Barnum in an episode of “Legends of Tomorrow”.

And according to Wikipedia, he is an established painter of the abstract expressionist variety.

But for most of us he will always be the Twin Peaks version of (Where’s) Waldo.
For a few thousand people The Zane was our hero for his absurd but welcomed role in Twin Peaks. Our cult came to worship that sweater, and we actually got an acknowledgement from him online that the sweater was it's own entity.

I wish things had turned out better but it started with some dudes in a private chat into a movement where we actually took over Google to the point that if you searched "JJW" or Woolhouse you get meme results from tons of people who contributed to that movement.

Heady days of when Twin Peaks was resurrected.

- Mordeen

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
If Lynch had to do a Marvel movie (I feel scandalous for even typing that), my picks would be:

- Sleepwalker (obscure character who falls asleep and kind of astral projects a superhero)
- Man-Thing
- Dr. Strange
- Fantastic Four, some sort of Negative Zone adventure (it's like a really psychedelic weird dimension)
- Multiple Man (doopppelllgaaanger...)
- Quasar (cosmic insanity)
- Silver Surfer (more cosmic insanity)
- Peter Milligan's X-Force/X-Factor (Hollywood satire and real weird shit)
Yeah Man Thing came to mind for me as well. And this might be a stretch, but I can imagine Warren Ellis’ Nextwave adapted with a quirky On The Air like sensibility.

Sleepwalker… that has always been a blind spot in my comic book awareness.

Sparky

Great Northern Hotel
Apr 12, 2022
For a few thousand people The Zane was our hero for his absurd but welcomed role in Twin Peaks. Our cult came to worship that sweater, and we actually got an acknowledgement from him online that the sweater was it's own entity.

I wish things had turned out better but it started with some dudes in a private chat into a movement where we actually took over Google to the point that if you searched "JJW" or Woolhouse you get meme results from tons of people who contributed to that movement.

Heady days of when Twin Peaks was resurrected.

- Mordeen
We’re just one ball of purple yarn on Billy Zane’s social away from years worth of Unknitted Sweater speculation. I can feel it.

Mordeen

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 18, 2022
We’re just one ball of purple yarn on Billy Zane’s social away from years worth of Unknitted Sweater speculation. I can feel it.
Hahah if that purple yarn was real I'd have to ask my wife re knit two purl two to include it into the sweater she made me.

I don't think that'd fly, unlike the plane he took Audrey's virginity on.

Hahaha that show got away with so much crass shit for it's time. I love it.

- Mordeen