SPECULATION Season 4 or something else – What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

Ickles

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
Fun tidbit from a new interview with Kyle
AVC: I think we all just wait for David to announce something that he’s doing. Have you gotten any better at anticipating or telegraphing when he may decide to return with another opportunity for you?

KM:
Not in the least. I remain as much in the dark as everyone. And David is the sole decider of if he wants to pursue something, and then if he does, if he wants me to be involved or any of the number of actors he’s worked with, like Laura Dern, for example, or Naomi. He’s not the kind of person that says, hey, I’m working on this thing. It’s either he’s decided and it’s happening, or there’s just no information, no knowledge. But, you know, it’s a strange world. As Jeffrey Beaumont used to say, you never know what’s coming.

Ickles

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
I don’t know if I would classify it as a “tease” but he’s definitely having fun with the rumors of a new Lynch project. He very easily could’ve omitted the last 2 sentences if he wanted to shut down any rumors.

baxter

Great Northern Hotel
Apr 12, 2022
Yeah, that's what I see as the tease. "But, you know, it’s a strange world. As Jeffrey Beaumont used to say, you never know what’s coming.". That is literally a tease!

unrecordednight

Sparkwood & 21
Oct 2, 2022
as someone who believes this project isn't moving forward due to budgetary issues, i like to buy a lottery ticket once a week. it's a little ritual i have for keeping the hope alive for myself. every week, once a week, i buy one megamillions or powerball ticket, whichever has a bigger jackpot, and i've internally pledged that if i ever win the jackpot, i'd take the lump sum upfront and the entirety of it would go towards funding a david lynch film/tv project. i fully understand the odds of winning are virtually zero, but one can dream... imagine being in a position where you could enable david to have enough money to have the financial freedom to "get dreamy" :)

eyeboogers

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 14, 2022
"Inland Empire" was partially crowdfunded under its original title "Axxon N". The initial subscription rate for davidlynch.com made it clear that the money would go directly to fund the three series ("Rabbits","Dumbland" and "Axxon N").

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
Interesting. davidlynch.com was way ahead of its time. Too ahead of its time, unfortunately. Nowadays, he could probably raise a substantial amount of money. I've crowdfunded quite a few projects now, mostly documentaries and a film restoration, but there's a great market out there now for these things.

esselgee

Sparkwood & 21
Apr 18, 2022
David Nevins is leaving Paramount/Showtime. He was responsible for Lynch and Frost doing season 3 at Showtime. It probably wouldn't have happened there without him. Not sure if this might affect any possible TP projects going forward in the future.

fatecolossal

Great Northern Hotel
Apr 18, 2022
ICYMI, it was announced today that Lynch has two new art exhibits opening in NYC next month: BIG BONGO NIGHT and I LIKE TO SEE MY SHEEP, both including pieces from 2021-22 as well as from earlier. David Lynch: Big Bongo Night | Pace Gallery

It seems clear that at least parts of his 2021-22 have been spent primarily on paintings, sculptures, & similar craftsmanship, though I suppose that's always been apparent to some extent. (Who knows, maybe BIG BONGO NIGHT & UNRECORDED NIGHT refer to the same night...)

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
David Nevins is leaving Paramount/Showtime. He was responsible for Lynch and Frost doing season 3 at Showtime. It probably wouldn't have happened there without him. Not sure if this might affect any possible TP projects going forward in the future.
I suspect that if Twin Peaks comes back in some form, it'll be on a full-blown streaming platform, anyway. One of the reasons in 2017 that I got irritated with Season Three is that I felt like I got this film dragged out for 16 weeks and I was ultimately left hanging, after the early publicity for the season had said it was going to be about wrapping things up properly. I emphasise 'at the time' a lot as I'm not necessarily of that view now (how very lawyerly of me!! :D)

Had I watched The Return on a streaming service over a few days, I'm certain I would likely have felt differently about it. As soon as the complete TV series boxset drops low enough in price, I'm going to buy it (I got rid of the Complete Mystery set in 2017, because I got fed up of the dreadful audio sync issues.) After the transcendently wonderful experience of watching FWWM last night (then followed by The Missing Pieces, meaning I got to sleep about 3.30am!), I want to watch The Return in a much more concentrated manner. I watched the 12 episodes of Brideshead Revisited from the early 1980s a while back and that's a series also uses the method of just stopping at the end of an episode, because it's basically a long movie. I watched an episode a day and adored it.

It was a funny thing that I often got irritated with Season Three back then, but at the end - dissatisfied as I was at the time - I was up for a Season Four. I want to see what this badass 'Richard' Cooper, who resembles a Dirty Harry/Spaghetti Western character, gets up to and hopefully find out more about Audrey Horne in this reality. Given the tragic number of cast deaths since 2017, the alternate reality probably is a better option anyway, allowing new actors to play equivalent characters to the ones we've lost. So, Shelly could still work at the RR Diner, for example, but maybe there's never been a Norma in this particular version - perhaps a Norma equivalent. Maybe Annie even runs it!

My biggest problem with The Return was actually the loss of Harry Truman, which I know couldn't be helped. Robert Forster was a brilliant actor and I know he was supposed to be the original actor they wanted for the role in 1988, but I really felt The Return needed Harry himself badly. Harry, as played by Michael Ontkean was the stable aspect of the show: a gentle, kind, grounded Dr Watson to Cooper's eccentric, enigmatic Sherlock Holmes. He was the focal Twin Peaks-based character for me. I'd almost rather they recast than written him out - and, having written him out, not done things like one-sided phone calls, which never really work. I never quite latched on to the Twin Peaks scenes without him, I'm sorry to say. Harry was our introduction to the entire police aspect of the original series and was the lead for a substantial part of the pilot film. For Season Four, it's perfectly possible to have either a completely different Sheriff - Chris Isaak as Chester Desmond, maybe? ;) - who's been there all along or see if Michael Ontkean can come back this time - Frank could be ill and Harry could have gone fishing!

Regardless, I'd look forward to it if it happened!

So, I'm not too worried about David Nevins going. If David Lynch says to anyone that he's got a script for a Twin Peaks miniseries that he wants to make, I suspect they'll jump at it. Twin Peaks just oozes class. It has a substantial sci-fi-fantasy type of fan that will watch multiple times and crime thriller fans and it attracts the arthouse crowd.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
So, I'm not too worried about David Nevins going. If David Lynch says to anyone that he's got a script for a Twin Peaks miniseries that he wants to make, I suspect they'll jump at it. Twin Peaks just oozes class. It has a substantial sci-fi-fantasy type of fan that will watch multiple times and crime thriller fans and it attracts the arthouse crowd.
I agree; I still feel that if David Lynch wanted to make a new season, it would get made. As simple as that.

eyeboogers

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 14, 2022
I attended the World Conference of Screenwriters this week, and from hearing about the state of things from various showrunners there I have to report back to this thread with a sad reality check. Due to the increased competition, wars and pandemics, the streamers are running really scared these days. Pre-pandemic Netflix and others were all competing for the best talent and most original programming. They are taking fewer chances creatively. They are micromanaging showrunners and using almost all of their budgets for rolling out safe and tired cash cows once more (Rings, Thrones, Sex and the City). Even the color-grading has to be uniform across all series for a given streamer these days. Many greenlit productions have gotten cancelled, and continue to be. And thery are trying to rip-off creators and actors in every way possible (buyouts instead of royalties, non-transparency in the cases where royalties are part of the contract, union busting).

We haven't seen the math for TPTR, it disappointed domestically, but I gather that with TP being a strong brand globally it did make a profit. But not necessarily the kind of profit that gets you greenlit these days. I am still confident that Lynch could get a 2 hour Peaks TV-movie greenlit at Paramount (and probably only at Paramount), but almost certainly not a 18 part series.

If Lynch is working on a non-Twin Peaks series, it would be interesting to see if he could produce it cheaply enough to make a deal directly with The Criterion Channel. I could see that being a good investment for both parties. Especially since Criterion could then resell the rights internationally, and pocket money from physical media sales as well.