SPECULATION Season 4 or something else – What is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night?

Ickles

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
Variety gonna Variety

David Lynch fans were thrilled when it was rumored that the “Mulholland Drive” auteur might have a new feature going to Cannes. But since there’s still a chance we might see a “Wisteria” TV series or feature on Netflix — or elsewhere — sometime soon, we’re going to leave Lynch off the list for now.

David Locke

RR Diner
Apr 12, 2022
I pretty much agree with the general consensus here: Lynch almost certainly IS working on a new project — whether it’s just in pre-production or whether it’s nearly finished and needs some trimming etc in the editing room. It probably won’t be a Cannes surprise. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we see it by the end of the year, at latest.

OneMoreChapter

Special Agent
OG DUGPA MOD
Apr 12, 2022
I'd still like to know when he filmed it. If this is something already filmed and not gearing up to go into production, then anything beyond a Rabbits-esque style (or possibly IE-style but even then with limited locations) movie seems ... unlikely? I'd love it but it would indicate he might have filmed something in 2019 as I think the weather reports and the pandemic possibly rules out 2020 onwards. But as I said on Dugpa, even 2019 or earlier is unlikely:

This all brings us back to - did Lynch film anything? Could he have kept it secret? Wouldn't he have been spotted (not just rumoured, but filmed/spotted/photographed) if filming on location in 2019 or whenever? There is admittedly LOTS of smoke but during filming of Season 3 credible stuff still leaked out - he was seen on location and filmed. We even saw what ended up being the final scene on Periscope! Yet this time around we have Wisteria posts on social media and lots of "claims" about him and other actors "maybe" being spotted in Snoqualmie in an age of smartphones where everything is filmed. Not even footage of him entering a studio in LA - and we did hear a real report of something like that it turned out to be him colour correcting a re-release of MD/IE/LH. I'm just not buying that a single photo of him on set or entering a studio or actors/props going/being delivered to his house - something - would have leaked in this day and age. All the leaks we have are very shaky compared to the ones during filming of S3. So, yes, lots of smoke - but it's all as ephemeral as smoke too, which makes me doubt he pulled off anything other than a Rabbits-style shoot in secrecy.

I know things can be shot in secret and behind closed doors, am just highly skeptical that nothing - aside from rumours and possible filings - leaked out. Not a single photograph of Lynch or someone else spotted anywhere. Even those rumours of him and an actor being spotted in Washington didn't have a photograph.

WorldFarAway

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 12, 2022
For me, the latest deadline to keep an eye on is the end of next week. Thierry did say he had more announcements coming next week after all.

LateReg

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 12, 2022
I'm not saying there is anything, but one thing that I don't understand are the questions here and there in these threads pertaining to why Lynch would want to still keep it a secret. If he came this far and shot something in secret, why would he NOT want to continue to keep it a secret? It could just be what he had in mind from the start, it could be a point of pride, it could be similar to The Return's theme of slowing down in the face of a fast-paced world, only now he's rebelling against a culture in which everything is spoiled or teased to high heaven. To me, if he did shoot something in secret, the least of the mysteries is why he'd still want to keep it a secret. It makes perfect sense to me to reveal it on his own time, without any added pressure of the world knowing about and demanding it.

Something else I was thinking about. If there actually is nothing, perhaps the reason why Lynch seems so adamant about setting the record straight is because he's extra ticked off since he SHOULD have had something shot by now, if not for whatever difficulties occurred due to covid, Netflix, etc. I'd be disheartened too if I saw a world going nuts over a rumor about a new film, when all I'd wanted to do was make a new film after being hindered by numerous obstacles.

OneMoreChapter

Special Agent
OG DUGPA MOD
Apr 12, 2022
Two great points, LateReg. I'm somewhat skeptical he managed to film a larger-scale project in secret as I said but I would understand him wanting to keep it as secret as long as possible (not as much if it's with Cannes but maybe).

And to your second point - yeah, that could explain things too. It's a sensible take.

Ickles

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I don't disagree with your general points, LateReg but I guess my "why" stance is more "why NOW", specifically in relation to it being a late Cannes add. If it's still barely in the editing process or being filmed, or even something set for closer to a Venice timeline it makes all the sense in the world to me that he'd vehemently deny it. It would be more bewildering to me if it was about to be announced in the Cannes line-up next week. That's all I meant, really. I get him being tight-lipped in general about his work and process.

Ickles

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I don't believe there's a set date for a follow-up announcement. Just a vague "more announced in the coming weeks" kind of thing. I believe when they added "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" in 2019 it was just a couple weeks before the festival.

DougieJones

Sparkwood & 21
Apr 16, 2022
I refuse to believe that Madchen’s Wisteria post was a coincidence.

If this is a vignette of TP characters then I want a 30 minute long stretch of James tuning his guitar.

Ickles

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this but in a bit of a wistful mood...

All of the excitement and mental energy spent on this last round of rumors has me convinced I'm thoroughly ill-equipped to emotionally handle the eventuality of no more new Lynch work some day. So much of my life has been spent reading about, speculating about, day dreaming about upcoming Lynch projects. From tracking down print magazines with pieces on the (at the time) upcoming Lost Highway as a teenager, to desperately calling in favors to weasel my way in to advance press screenings of Mulholland Drive as a lowly movie theater usher, to setting aside the majority of my meager salary as a projectionist to fly across the country to see the North American premiere of INLAND EMPIRE at the New York Film Festival. All of the little crumbs and tidbits about a new series have been fun speculation fodder over the past couple years but things hit a fever pitch over the last week or so once all this Cannes feature stuff started. It made me feel like a 20-something again, poring through any leaks I could, staying up until 2am to watch a Cannes line-up on the slim chances a new Lynch film was announced. I generally consider myself a cinephile and I'm looking forward to the other upcoming films from filmmakers I respect but no one quite speaks to me, and gets me excited about cinema, like Lynch does. I think that's a big reason why I've found myself so desperate for news and confirmation of something new, as there's quite of bit of anxiety that if something isn't already in the works by Lynch, we might never see anything new again.

Last edited:

DougieJones

Sparkwood & 21
Apr 16, 2022
If we’re lining up the breadcrumbs

Remember the tweet about “hearing rumblings” with the it’s happening again picture. Then there was the ScareMag tweet saying Lynch’s series may have come off pause. Well what if he was aiming for a Cannes premiere, it’s in production but it’s not ready.

Ickles

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
Yeah, I definitely clocked the proximity of the Wampler tweet in regards to the Cannes rumors. I think there's more than a coincidental amount of smoke and do think it's possible there's a feature or extended pilot in the works that's just not ready in time for Cannes. 🤞 for Venice