Robert Eggers

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I'm going to see The Northman tomorrow at a theater, together with my friends who are all very excited to see it because The Lighthouse made Robert Eggers a major name in my circle (I still haven't seen The Witch, but I've heard it's great as well). To me, The Lighthouse was not only the best film of 2019 but probably of the last five years or even more, and Eggers is one of the most exciting and interesting new auteurs working in film today.

Any admirers of Robert Eggers around here?

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
The Northman wasn't as good as The Lighthouse or The VVitch.

But it was still very good. If more $80-100m blockbusters were made like this I'd be very happy.

One thing unfortunate immersion-breaking stroke of bad luck was its similarities with Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. At times it felt like a direct adaptation and lots of audience members were laughing at these similarities throughout the film.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022

But it was still very good. If more $80-100m blockbusters were made like this I'd be very happy.
That's kind of what I expect. I read that he didn't get the final cut, but was still happy with the outcome? That worries me a bit.

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
That's kind of what I expect. I read that he didn't get the final cut, but was still happy with the outcome? That worries me a bit.

It wasn't I didn't get final cut in a David Lynch on Dune way where they just mess with it above his head and traumatise him.

He wasn't complaining when he said that. And he insists:
  1. The final film is exactly how he wants it
  2. The film is better for it
  3. Even though it was difficult as a process compared to his previous films, he considers it collaborative rather than adversarial

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
It wasn't I didn't get final cut in a David Lynch on Dune way where they just mess with it above his head and traumatise him.

He wasn't complaining when he said that. And he insists:
  1. The final film is exactly how he wants it
  2. The film is better for it
  3. Even though it was difficult as a process compared to his previous films, he considers it collaborative rather than adversarial
That sounds much better (y) I'm definitely very excited about tomorrow!

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
That sounds much better (y) I'm definitely very excited for tomorrow!

Yeah, he was very keen to clear up those headlines. He seems very honest and I don't think he'd pretend if he simply hated the film or felt bitter.

The distinction is "here's what you can't do when you're given $100m to make a very risky film", like have all the dialogue in authentic Old Norse or something (which he was apparently considering).

Whereas people took it as "this needs some spicing up so we're adding a bit of time travel and including an Iron Man cameo".

That said, don't go in expecting Lighthouse-esque esotericism. It's an accessible movie that also has the distinctive Eggers touch. I was worried the latter would be smothered but it wasn't.

Rainwater

RR Diner
Apr 11, 2022
I didn't even know it existed before opening this thread. Shows how much attention I'm paying to new releases. The Witch and The Lighthouse were very good, though I've only seen them once. Definitely have to see this.

One thing unfortunate immersion-breaking stroke of bad luck was its similarities with Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. At times it felt like a direct adaptation and lots of audience members were laughing at these similarities throughout the film.
I never played that, but I've heard the Assassin's Creed devs tend to put a lot of effort into getting at least the background of the settings to be historically accurate, and so does Eggers, so maybe this was unavoidable? I don't know anything about the subject, but I imagine there's a limited amount of historical sources to work with when crafting the details.

Rainwater

RR Diner
Apr 11, 2022
The distinction is "here's what you can't do when you're given $100m to make a very risky film", like have all the dialogue in authentic Old Norse or something (which he was apparently considering).
Damn, that sounds awesome. Kinda like what Mel Gibson did on Apocalypto. Now that movie is derided a lot for its glaring lack of accuracy in some aspects, but I love it.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
Thankfully, the only games I've played during the last decade were the entries from the Grand Theft Auto series, so I wouldn't notice this.

But Rainwater made some interesting points regarding the possible explanation.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
Damn, that sounds awesome. Kinda like what Mel Gibson did on Apocalypto. Now that movie is derided a lot for its glaring lack of accuracy in some aspects, but I love it.
And The Passion of the Christ as well. If he really makes the planned sequel, I suppose it will also be made in the authentic language.

sneakydave

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022

I poured about 100 hours into Valhalla.

Sold. 😂

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I've just seen the film a few hours ago, and, unfortunately, found it forgettable. It had some striking imagery and powerful scenes, as well as good acting (Willem Dafoe stands out, as usual, and I liked Anya Taylor-Joy as well), but overall, it didn't leave any real emotional, intellectual, or aesthetic impression on me.

The Lighthouse is in another league entirely, and for some reason I kept thinking about Lars von Trier (maybe because multiple actors from The Northman appeared in his films), and how he can make me invested and then leave me emotionally drained, while this just left me cold.

It's not a bad film at all, it was very well made and crafted, but, alas, not really for me.

TimG

RR Diner
Apr 12, 2022
I am torn about going. I loved The Witch but already liked The Lighthouse less (too mannered) than the previous film; the trailers for this film were off-putting and the reviews from critics whose taste tends to align with mine were mixed, at least two comparing it unfavorably to Valhalla Rising (which I've not seen but Mads Mikkelsen is one of the finest actors today so I'm going to seek it out). On the other hand, it IS an original film in a sea of superhero movies and other pre-existing IP. I might go during the week...

I'm hoping Eggers' planned Nosferatu remake stays in development hell (Harry Styles was meant to be playing the Renfield character, I believe but had to drop out which in turn stalled the entire film). Murnau's film is too iconic and Werner Herzog has already taken a remake as far as it could creatively in 1978/9. A second remake might feel like Abel Ferrera's 1993 take on Body Snatchers which was just fine but not essential like Kaufman's 1978 film or Siegel's 1956 original (with Kaufman's remake edging out the 56 film, even). I'd rather Eggers writes an original vampire story of his own. That would meet a lot less resistance. He did also say that at some point he'd be interested in a third New England-set horror film.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
Since you mentioned Ferrara (whose work I enjoy and admire) and vampires, The Addiction from 1995 is one of the best vampire films I've seen.

And I think that you should go see The Northman, because you never know, you might just end up loving it.

secretlettermkr

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
I saw it a few days ago. Its stunning. Surely not the same as his previous work, but is a Robert Eggers film no doubt. Full of symbolism and attention to detail.

Rainwater

RR Diner
Apr 11, 2022
Saw The Northman. Didn't enjoy it. I can appreciate elements of it, all the work that went into it and so on but the movie as a whole just didn't work for me. It seemed to have all the ingredients, but lacked something crucial that would hold it all together and make it work.

I've just seen the film a few hours ago, and, unfortunately, found it forgettable. It had some striking imagery and powerful scenes, as well as good acting (Willem Dafoe stands out, as usual, and I liked Anya Taylor-Joy as well), but overall, it didn't leave any real emotional, intellectual, or aesthetic impression on me.
This pretty much sums it up for me too.

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
So, Nosferatu is filming and Focus Features now have a basic site up and running. I'm actually looking forward to this. I admire Eggers's work thus far. He's an interesting filmmaker and if he can bring the level of menace and dread to Nosferatu that he did with The Witch, he could knock (apologies for the pun!) this one out of the park!

I love the original film and I'm fond of he Herzog remake, although it does wink at the audience a bit. Klaus Kinski also looks like Max Schreck's chubby younger brother!

There was a 59 year gap between the original and the first remake and this new one (presumably coming out next year) will be around 44 years later and 103-104 years after the original, so at least they're not flooding the market too much with remakes!

Dare I say that if the film is a success they could do a joint sequel to this and Luca Guadagnino's Suspira? Nosferatutu? ;) (I'll get my coat!)