Other TV shows Worth Checking Out - Modern

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
Legion and Patriot had a very similar journey for me. The first seasons I was really impressed and enjoying the bold stylistic choices. But by season 2 it's like both shows got so self-congratulatory and they stopped telling a story and kept taking so much time out for these ambitious or indulgent stylistic sequences, one after the other, and you just feel so impatient, like WHEN DOES THE STORY CONTINUE? My friends had the same exact experience too. I don't mind indulgence really but with a serialized story, it can feel like they are just wasting time and like nothing is happening in a show that once had great momentum and kept you on the edge of your seat. Outside of Lynch I find it hard to sit through that stuff. That may not be fair...You could see people saying the same thing about season 3 of Twin Peaks...but what can I say? Lynch's work just speaks to me. When other people do it I get impatient!

Last edited:

Soolsma

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 13, 2022
Here to recommend Poker Face. I feel like you can never really go wrong with the ever charming Natasha Lyonne. With Rian Johnson at the helm (who made the only somewhat decent new Star Wars movie of the trilogy and directed some of the most outstanding Breaking Bad episodes) these standalone howcatchems take us across the US, providing enticing settings. It's all there; laughs, heartfelt moments and thrills.
Not every episode is as strong as the other, but the Johnson directed ones especially pop out. I personally wouldn't recommend binging it, as the format can get slightly repetitive. But all in all a great watch.

MasterMastermnd

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
Would be funny if, just as the future of broadcast seems to be "FAST" or "Free Ad-Supported TV," the future creatively became "a mix of serialization and good ol' standalone storytelling." The future is just like you remember!