Obi-Wan Kenobi (the 2022 miniseries)

Jasper

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
Apr 12, 2022
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I’m not sure if I’ll actually watch it, but I’m glad to have the option. Aside from rewatching the final battle a couple of times, I hadn’t planned on rewatching any of this miniseries.

I think Ewan McGregor is great, and his Obi-Wan was always excellent, so I enjoyed seeing him back at it. (Incidentally, if anyone hasn’t seen it, McGregor is great in the third season of Fargo.) Unfortunately, this miniseries had lots of fluff, bad writing, some remarkably bad performances, and various other problems.

It didn’t take a genius to predict that it was going to get fan-edited, even more so considering that fanedits of the Star Wars prequels are probably the most famous type. I’ve mentioned before that I’ve only seen one proper fanedit, the “Northwest Passage” take on Twin Peaks, and while it was technically fine, it was ultimately pointless. (Obviously it wasn’t pointless as an exercise for the editor, but that’s a different matter.)

The concept of fanedits is somewhat interesting, but not that interesting. According to the linked article, In the case of Obi-Wan Kenobi the original writer had written the story as a single film, and it was later stretched out by others to become an entire miniseries. That adds a layer of interest, because the miniseries was quite fluffy, and this fanedit might actually take it closer to the original writer’s intent.

Has anyone watched it?

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
This looks really promising.

The dialogue in particular sounds great. Mature writing with little of the network TV-style clichés that bogged down Obi-Wan's middle episodes.

And there are some proper zingers:

"There's formenting out there, sir. Pockets of fometing"*

"Are you a fish, or are you a thief?"

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
Anyone watching Andor?

It’s unbelievably good. I’m actually surprised something like this exists.

Gilroy is truly a master of dialogue.

Jasper

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
Apr 12, 2022
I haven't watched any shows since Better Call Saul concluded and Westworld's recent season ended. (IMO, the latter has been disappointing after the first season, but I'm in the habit of watching it, and Ed Harris is great.) I did, however, watch the above mentioned fanedit of Obi-Wan Kenobi, and it was mostly a significant improvement.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I haven't started Andor yet, but I will watch it. Especially since I love Rogue One and appreciate Diego Luna.

As for TV series in general, I'm still watching Star Trek: Voyager, and, besides that, films, so I haven't seen anything else for a while. I'm looking forward to Riget.

secretlettermkr

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
I Forgot to recommend to you, if you havent seen it.. UNDONE, an animated series thats AMAZING, well the first season is, the second one, Id sayY... DONT WATCH IT

thunderclap

RR Diner
Apr 12, 2022
It's no secret I tolerated Mandalorian, hated Boba Fett, and thought Obi-Wan was just slightly better than the latter, but Andor has been truly spectacular. Best SW related movie/show since the original trilogy IMO.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I haven't started Andor yet, but I will watch it. Especially since I love Rogue One and appreciate Diego Luna.

As for TV series in general, I'm still watching Star Trek: Voyager, and, besides that, films, so I haven't seen anything else for a while. I'm looking forward to Riget.
Have you gotten to the episode "Threshold" yet?

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
Have you gotten to the episode "Threshold" yet?
Yes, that was a good one! (I just checked: that's season 2, episode 15.)

The most recent I've seen (yesterday evening) was Dragon's Teeth, i.e. season 6, episode 7.

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
Gosh!

This show is incredible. What an episode!

It’s a series that keeps going places I never thought a Star Wars series would go (or would go that deep into).

Imagine hearing out of context that Mon Mothma will be weighing up her teenage daughter’s betrothal as a bung for political expediency.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
Yes, that was a good one! (I just checked: that's season 2, episode 15.)

The most recent I've seen (yesterday evening) was Dragon's Teeth, i.e. season 6, episode 7.
Yeah I like "Threshold" too -- I know its kind of preposterous and down right silly, but it is very entertaing. In that regard, it is very much like TNG's "Sub Rosa": objectively bad by most metrics, yet still a fun ride.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
Yeah I like "Threshold" too -- I know its kind of preposterous and down right silly, but it is very entertaing. In that regard, it is very much like TNG's "Sub Rosa": objectively bad by most metrics, yet still a fun ride.
A lot of Star Trek is preposterous and silly, and oftentimes it's for the best :giggle:

I had to remind myself which episode was Sub Rosa because I didn't remember the title, but yes, I know it. A strange but memorable one!

Going back to Voyager: the Threshold episode actually reminded me of Top Gun: Maverick.

WorldFarAway

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 12, 2022
There’s nothing I have to say about Andor that hasn’t already been said, but as someone deeply tired of franchise “properties” I thought it was terrific. This is a show that really puts in the work when it comes to building every aspect of the world, the characters and the story - my only fear is that it might lose something as it moves closer to Rogue One. The show has excelled so far by operating in a self-contained way, and largely avoided drawing from other films for resonance. I strongly dislike RO, even after rewatching it following the Andor finale, and it will be a shame if that film has to operate as a de-facto finale. Hopefully they will figure out a conclusion which somehow works on its own terms, even as it leads into the film.

This might sound strange, but there were times when the pacing and structure actually reminded me of The Return. Something about how it would present brief aspects of characters (especially Karn eating cereal), and never felt obligated to end on a cliffhanger perhaps. Obviously it is far more traditional in its narrative approach, with even the quieter moments “paying off”, but I felt a certain similarity nonetheless.

thunderclap

RR Diner
Apr 12, 2022
Thomas Flight has a YouTube channel that digs deep into films and shows. He summed up why Andor works so well vs the other SW shows.