New 560-Page Making-Of Book on Dune

Jasper

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
Apr 12, 2022
If Lynch is not going to make a film or series, then I think I’d really like to see him go ahead and make a director’s cut of Dune. He indicated his willingness to do so, but also expressed a belief that it wouldn’t happen, which I suppose comes down to a lack of studio support or something like that. Perhaps if enough interest could be generated, it could overcome any such obstacles. It could be that this book is a step in that direction.

Sci-Fi Movie GIF

Sparky

Great Northern Hotel
Apr 12, 2022
If Lynch is not going to make a film or series, then I think I’d really like to see him go ahead and make a director’s cut of Dune. He indicated his willingness to do so, but also expressed a belief that it wouldn’t happen, which I suppose comes down to a lack of studio support or something like that. Perhaps if enough interest could be generated, it could overcome any such obstacles. It could be that this book is a step in that direction.

Sci-Fi Movie GIF
I don’t have any detailed knowledge but I’m under the assumption that a director’s cut at this point might legally constitute a new film. Or might even be open to a lawsuit claiming such. Lynch’s Dune is owned by Universal and the new adaptation is owned by Warner Brothers and there’s probably just a convoluted conflict of interests. I know the director of Jodorowsky’s Dune said it was a nightmare getting all the legal clearance for the documentary just because of the Dune IP.

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
I don’t have any detailed knowledge but I’m under the assumption that a director’s cut at this point might legally constitute a new film. Or might even be open to a lawsuit claiming such. Lynch’s Dune is owned by Universal and the new adaptation is owned by Warner Brothers and there’s probably just a convoluted conflict of interests. I know the director of Jodorowsky’s Dune said it was a nightmare getting all the legal clearance for the documentary just because of the Dune IP.
Also, there's the considerable risk of people watching Lynch's Dune or the SyFy TV shows and being put of seeing the Villeneuve sequels. I thought it was a ludicrous decision not to make both parts of the latest adaptation simultaneously and release them a year apart the same as Lord of the Rings.

Dustoff

RR Diner
Apr 12, 2022
Anyone else reading currently reading? I'm only about a quarter of the way through the book, but already I'm finding it both fascinating and well-written, so I thought I'd revive this thread to hear others' reactions. Currently trying to pick my brain off the floor after learning that DIVINE WAS STRONGLY CONSIDERED FOR THE ROLE OF BARON HARKONNEN (!!!!!!!!). Holy smokes, I'd give anything to have seen that! (Probably not new information for some, but it certainly came as a surprise to me. Or maybe I knew it and forgot it. In any case, wow.)

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
Yes, there’s some really good information and perspective in there, even if some of the information contradicts other parts of the book due to how much time has passed and memory being unreliable. One of my favorite tidbits was learning that Everett McGill was the voice of the Guild Navigator.

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
Tangential to this: the feature-length documentary about Lynch's Dune that was supposed to go in the Arrow set and was pulled late in the day - currently only available on the German discs - is being shown on the Arrow Player here in the UK. I didn't find it until I did a deep dive to see what was in submenus of submenus on there...

If Arrow put a Blu-ray of the doco exclusively on their website for a tenner, if you show proof of purchase for the Blu-ray, I think a lot of people would buy it. I'd buy a three-disc case and put the documentary disc in the film and other bonus features!!