THE RETURN Nadine in S3

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
Speaking of gold, there is one big character that none of us have mentioned: The Log Lady.
She describes being her log turning gold as she dies.
Yep, I think this is a very important line. It's kind of like the cycle of birth and death and "the return." It's not like it's a literal direct connection (OR IS IT?) but seeing Laura's birth begin in gold and Log Lady's death ending in gold, it gives across the feeling of a circle now complete. And maybe that applies to other characters and maybe all of us too...

AXX°N N.

Waiting Room
Apr 14, 2022
Log Lady is interesting to bring up
And yet Log Lady (or rather, the Log itself) also is the one who encourages Hawk to reopen the past and dive headlong into a 25-year-old resolved case, which is arguably the opposite of moving forward.
I always took her as a character firmly rooted in the mundane as opposed to the mystic, despite her role as a kind of sage. The mundane/mystic split seems pretty fundamental by the end of it: we could say most of the characters who end up with peace stay firmly planted in the mundane, while many seem to have lost their humanity or are downright trapped in the mystic. While she leads Hawk back into the old story of Laura and Cooper, the most important pieces of her advice seem to factor out into "look and listen, don't get too close." I've seen complaints that the scene where Hawk sees the curtains doesn't lead anywhere or is a red herring, but I think that's the point. She doesn't abandon her log, cabin, tea or other norms for portals when they open, she's more of a cautious observer.

Last edited:

Soolsma

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 13, 2022
^
I'm fairly certain that scene would have played out a bit different were it not for the sad circumstances. It seems the phone calls were invented because of those, and she might have been present there otherwise (also Harry and/or even Andy, who knows). IIRC she did originally have WA scenes planned.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
^
I'm fairly certain that scene would have played out a bit different were it not for the sad circumstances. It seems the phone calls were invented because of those, and she might have been present there otherwise (also Harry and/or even Andy, who knows). IIRC she did originally have WA scenes planned.
Yeah, that’s correct. I forgot who told the story (Sabrina, I think?), but essentially, Catherine kept insisting that she was going to get on a plane and go to Washington to shoot, despite the fact that everyone around her saw that that was impossible. Finally, mutual friends of her and Lynch called him and said that if he wanted to get any performance from her, he needed to send a crew to Oregon immediately. I think she died three days after shooting her scenes. I still can’t watch those without crying. The sheriff’s station crew showed up in Washington right around the same time that Coulson would have shot her scenes in Oregon, so it’s reasonable to assume that she was planning to arrive around the same time as them and would have shared scenes with them.

Last edited:

Jasper

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
Apr 12, 2022
There was a great podcast interview with Catherine Coulson shortly before filming began. (I don't recall the podcast, but if someone remembers, please let us know.) She sounded healthy and energetic, and very excited about returning to Twin Peaks, so the sad events that followed were that much more shocking. Thank goodness that her friends helped to enable her to make her heroic final Twin Peaks appearance.

I too think about what was going to happen with the Hawk/Margaret scenes, like when Hawk is at Glastonbury Grove and catches glimpses of the curtains. Would that have been Hawk and Harry? Hawk and Margaret? Margaret alone? I really wish that we’d have seen that, and that Catherine Coulson was still alive. Given the circumstances, it’s still amazing what was accomplished.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022

This one? I don’t think I’d heard that before. That is so bittersweet, hearing her talking about going to Washington and her excitement about seeing everyone again. I guess she was still acting onstage (in Guys and Dolls) in July, so her illness really must have escalated quickly. Man.

Has there been any news on that documentary about her life (from the same people who made the great Jack Nance documentary)? The Kickstarter or whatever it was was years ago. I’d love to see that film.

Jasper

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
Apr 12, 2022

This one? I don’t think I’d heard that before. That is so bittersweet, hearing her talking about going to Washington and her excitement about seeing everyone again. I guess she was still acting onstage (in Guys and Dolls) in July, so her illness really must have escalated quickly. Man.

Has there been any news on that documentary about her life (from the same people who made the great Jack Nance documentary)? The Kickstarter or whatever it was was years ago. I’d love to see that film.

That appears to be the one! 🪵

I don't know about the progress of the documentary. I hope it's not forever stalled. I helped to fund an unrelated documentary project well over a decade ago, and even though a significant amount of material was filmed, it seems to have somehow fallen apart.

AXX°N N.

Waiting Room
Apr 14, 2022
I think I recall hearing the phone scenes were due to her illness, but I've never given deeper consideration into what the scripted material might have originally been. The mind reels.
I was a backer and last I heard (from an update from the creator around September) it hasn't been stalled, it's just always been a very slow production. I imagine Covid impacted it as it has everything, but it's still actively being worked on.

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
The gold motif in season 3 is utterly fascinating, and Nadine and Jacobi and the gold shovels are right at the center of it.
Gold box set anyone? Remember when everyone was questioning why on Earth Lynch created a gold box set for Twin Peaks on DVD? ;)

meadowlark

RR Diner
Dec 11, 2022
Yeah, not only finding out about OEJ, but also Audrey finding out that Ben was having sex with her classmate Laura, and then immediately afterwards Audrey is “rah rah Team Horne!” This is probably the hugest instance in the entire series of the writers failing a character.
Perhaps Audrey decided to forgive Ben.