: - ) ALL Members' Q&A with the one and only Sabrina Sutherland!

sssabrinasssarah

Glastonbury Grove
May 3, 2024
Hi Sabrina, was it the first time for you to act when you appeared in Twin Peaks and how much fun was it working on the show even when it was a small part ? Thanks for your time and I'm already looking forward to new music from David.
It was definitely my first time acting in front of a camera, but it was not my first time acting. It was stressful for me because David changed my lines and added things (changed numbers) up until we shot. Grrr….

sssabrinasssarah

Glastonbury Grove
May 3, 2024
I thought Sabrina was great. Everything about the Mr. Jackpots section had me rolling. Maybe the funniest stuff in season three for me.
Thank you.
This is not true. She was initially brought in by Tony Kranz to be a possible co-writer (like Mark Frost was that Tony Kranz also set up), but David wanted to work alone and he did - maybe she would have worked if the show became a tv show, but I couldn't say that without guessing. All I know is that she did not write the pilot nor the eventual movie that Mulholland Drive became. She was given the token credit as a thank you for the possibility is my understanding.
But, did she actually receive credit on the film? I don’t think so. Just adding…

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
Sabrina! What in your view was the most one of Lynch's projects changed from conception to conclusion? In my experience as a film student, so much changes in every step, but Lynch's scripts that I've seen REALLY match the finished product. Any that took strange, unpredictable detours into the unknown?

sssabrinasssarah

Glastonbury Grove
May 3, 2024
Hey Sabrina - let’s stop talking about David for a minute and let’s talk about your job lol

A few quick questions:
1) what would you say is the most difficult part of your job?
2) How would you describe what you do to someone that knows little about cinema?
3) What usually prevents or determines how a producing company is selected? You talked about Netflix for a project, what would’ve prevented you and whoever you’re working for from going to A24 or others? How does the process work? (Disclaimer for the fans: the question is meant as hypothetical.)

And just one question about David:
4) can you describe his focus level when he works on projects? Does he have a specific working routine (other than TM)?

Thank you for all you do and for keeping up with all our crazy theories.
The most difficult is the most enjoyable too - I never know what to expect when I go to work.

I help a director get his films made.

Determination of a production company can be made by many things. It’s hard to generalize this - I think every project is different.

DL is 100% focused at all times when working on anything.

sssabrinasssarah

Glastonbury Grove
May 3, 2024
Hey Sabrina!

Thank you for taking time to answer so many questions. I've listened to Mr Lynch's remix of the Mylène Farmer song 'Je te rends ton amour' and really liked it. I discovered Mylène's music videos back in the 1990s here in the UK - I actually own all her albums and videos (so I guess I'm a fan! :D) The original François Hanss music video back in the day seemed like a hybrid of David Lynch's and Laurent Boutonnat's sensibilities. I love how the David Lynch remix is stripped back and stays faithful to the mood of the original version where so many remixers often show off and bury the singer and the song. It's a timeless mix that I don't think will date.

How did the remix come about and have Ms Gautier and Mr Lynch ever talked about collaborating before? Was it case of Mr Lynch simply being given the stems and left to his own devices or was there a lot of back-and-forth cross-continents? I'd love to see a Mylène and David music video one day!!
They are friends, and she asked him if he wanted to do a version. He said yes and did it at our studio in Los Angeles and sent it to her.

Ickles

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
Since Sabrina has been kind enough to stick around here...

Much internal discussion has been had here about whether or not Lynch, at this stage of his career, has much of an interest in "smaller" film works. Some of his comments about cinema being dead and TV/continuing stories calling to him more I think has given a lot of folks the impression the days of him making something more akin to Inland Empire again, a self-contained indie feature, might be in the past. Especially knowing that the one thing we do know he had in the pipe, Unrecorded Night, was a 13 episode series. If you feel comfortable speaking to this at all, has David mulled over making something on the scale of Inland Empire again? I know in the special features interview with Laura and Kyle on the Criterion's IE disc, Kyle mentions Lynch having expressed a desire to return to his filmmaking roots, ala Eraserhead again. If you can't really answer this for whatever reason, at least know that this fan in particular would absolutely LOVE a self-contained film work again and there is an audience for it, despite cinema-going rapidly changing from the glory days of 35mm, etc.

Last edited:

sssabrinasssarah

Glastonbury Grove
May 3, 2024
What's truly fascinating to me is that for the lyrics of the song Sycamore Trees for Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, David actually used a scene from a draft of his Ronnie Rocket screenplay (titled "Ronny Rocket", likely from the 1970s/early 1980s).

An excerpt of a scene from the screenplay:

"Loud sounds come up and Terry goes running off crazily. The Detective is frightened and now he's left the place he was supposed to stay in, and he's lost. He's on a street with large low class hotels. He stands in the shadows in front of one of the hotels and overhears a part of a conversation between a hard low class girl and a smooth greasy tatooed man.

GIRL
I got idea, man...you take me for a
walk ( she moves closer to the guy)
under the sycamore trees (closer)
the dark trees that blow, baby. In
the dark trees I'll see you and you'll
see me...I'll see you in the branches
that blow in the breeze...I'll see you
under the trees."

So, the final lyrics of the song are there pretty much word for word. Seems to me those words hold some special meaning and value being quite important to David – I mean, enough to propel him to go back and put them out in a different form.

I've read Lynch has returned to Ronnie Rocket again and again and considered it a possible follow-up to many of his films, even FWWM, but also that he scouted locations in England at some point and it turned out the industrial cities had become too modernized to match with his vision for the film. So I wonder, did he – on some level – by 1991 think Ronnie Rocket would not be produced anymore and therefore decided to use those words in another production, just to "have put them out there"?

Yeah, I'm aware this probably isn't a question you can reply to, there's likely only one person who could (and likely wouldn't) answer it. Throwing it out there anyway. In any case, Sabrina – I thank you for your candid replies to so many of the earlier questions that have been asked.
I wrote about Ronnie Rocket above.

sssabrinasssarah

Glastonbury Grove
May 3, 2024
Hi @sssabrinasssarah

One of the most fascinating yet concrete unknowns related to the production of Season 3 is just what the production budget actually was. It's rare not to be able to find information regarding budget in this day and age, and it was something I have wondered about prior, during and after the series. In Room To Dream, David says that you played a major role in putting the plan together to let Showtime know what it would take, and the rest is history, and I wouldn't change a thing. But I'm still curious if you could shed any light on what it took from a budgetary perspective to make such a sprawling yet fiercely independent production happen?

Thank you for making it happen, by the way!!!
Although reports differ on the budget, I will say that our show was very inexpensive for a tv show - especially considering we had 18 hours of a show. The money we got was put on the screen. The meeting with Showtime was a turning point. Thankfully, David Nevins accepted what I presented at that meeting. We were able to work independently and that really is what mattered/matters.

sssabrinasssarah

Glastonbury Grove
May 3, 2024
I wish I did not miss this one! I'd like to wish Sabrina and David good health and fortunes in whatever they do!

What would I ask or ask for, if I could? I know there is some unreleased music from S3 (for example, the up-tempo version of Heartbreaking), it'd be great if we could see all of S3 music released, perhaps similar to the original Twin Peaks Archive issue. Thank you once again, wishing you all the best!
Everything was considered for publishing and whatever music was deemed by DL to be published was indeed published.

sssabrinasssarah

Glastonbury Grove
May 3, 2024
Sabrina! What in your view was the most one of Lynch's projects changed from conception to conclusion? In my experience as a film student, so much changes in every step, but Lynch's scripts that I've seen REALLY match the finished product. Any that took strange, unpredictable detours into the unknown?
Jordan! I think Inland Empire - mainly because there was no pre-set script prior to filming. The completed full script came after it was done.

sssabrinasssarah

Glastonbury Grove
May 3, 2024
Since Sabrina has been kind enough to stick around here...

Much internal discussion has been had here about whether or not Lynch, at this stage of his career, has much of an interest in "smaller" film works. Some of his comments about cinema being dead and TV/continuing stories calling to him more I think has given a lot of folks the impression the days of him making something more akin to Inland Empire again, a self-contained indie feature, might be in the past. Especially knowing that the one thing we do know he had in the pipe, Unrecorded Night, was a 13 episode series. If you feel comfortable speaking to this at all, has David mulled over making something on the scale of Inland Empire again? I know in the special features interview with Laura and Kyle on the Criterion's IE disc, Kyle mentions Lynch having expressed a desire to return to his filmmaking roots, ala Eraserhead again. If you can't really answer this for whatever reason, at least know that this fan in particular would absolutely LOVE a self-contained film work again and there is an audience for it, despite cinema-going rapidly changing from the glory days of 35mm, etc.
First, Unrecorded Night was not defined as 13 episodes just to get that clear. I won’t say much more other than to say it’s like Twin Peaks where we knew we had at least 9 episodes, but it turned into 18 by the end. As for a feature film, there are many possibilities as he has many ideas. However, he is focused on his artwork and music right now.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I don’t know anything about this.
Apologies if I am perpetuating gossip here — but I recall reading something online after episode 17 of The Return, something that suggested that Julee Cruise was upset at David for closing ep 17 with her lip syncing the original version of “The World Spins”, as opposed to her performing (or I guess lip syncing) a new version of it with The Chromatics.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
Apologies if I am perpetuating gossip here — but I recall reading something online after episode 17 of The Return, something that suggested that Julee Cruise was upset at David for closing ep 17 with her lip syncing the original version of “The World Spins”, as opposed to her performing (or I guess lip syncing) a new version of it with The Chromatics.

It's not just gossip in the sense that Cruise herself posted something disgruntled on social media, but then she kind of walked it back. I've always wondered what that was about.

LateReg

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 12, 2022
I don't want to further the gossip via faulty memory, but I remember thinking it was related to the amount of screen time that Cruise had compared to other performers...her song was significantly truncated, whereas, say, "No Stars" played for twice as long. But coming where it did, at the end of such an hour so deep into the series, it still carried double the weight.

Jasper

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
Apr 12, 2022

I recall the post, which was in the form of a very emotional rant (or tantrum), and I don't think that there was anything at all in there about any kind of new version of the song, be it with The Chromatics or anybody else. I also don't think that Cruise supplied any explanation for exactly what it was about her appearance that had her so worked up, but like many others, I suspected that it might have been related to the fact that the song was truncated, as LateReg mentioned, and that at some point credits appeared on the screen, if memory serves.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022

secretlettermkr

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
First, Unrecorded Night was not defined as 13 episodes just to get that clear. I won’t say much more other than to say it’s like Twin Peaks where we knew we had at least 9 episodes, but it turned into 18 by the end. As for a feature film, there are many possibilities as he has many ideas. However, he is focused on his artwork and music right now.
PLEASE DO UNRECORDED NIGHT!!! PLEASE!!!