Lynch/Oz

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
Documentarian Alexandre O. Philippe specializes in taking viewers deep inside their favorite movies. For his latest project, he lifts the velvet curtain on iconic filmmaker David Lynch’s obsession with The Wizard Of Oz —a film that Lynch/Oz argues is the foundational text for all of Lynch’s work. Red shoes, hollow winds, gossamer bubbles, naïve young women in terrible trouble—all these elements and more are present in Blue Velvet, Wild At Heart, Mulholland Drive, and Twin Peaks, as Lynch/Oz illustrates with striking, persuasive split-screen visuals.

For Lynch/Oz, Philippe enlists an impressive lineup of critics, writers, and directors, including Karyn Kusama, John Waters, David Lowery,Rodney Ascher, Amy Nicholson, and Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead. Each of these creatives brings their own unique take on Lynch and Oz, expanding the film’s scope from simple analysis to a larger meditation on the nature of creativity and how the things we love make us who we are. --Frederic Boyer

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I'm looking forward to this film very much. And it's also time for a Wizard of Oz rewatch - I haven't seen it since childhood!

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
Just saw this pop up on my recommendations on Amazon. Has Lynch been interviewed for this film? So far, I've only seen other names mentioned...

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
Just saw this pop up on my recommendations on Amazon. Has Lynch been interviewed for this film? So far, I've only seen other names mentioned...

He hasn't. I saw the film and attended a Q/A with the director.

Lynch responded with support for the endeavor but said no to participating because he has to “keep his eye on the donut”.

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
He hasn't. I saw the film and attended a Q/A with the director.

Lynch responded with support for the endeavor but said no to participating because he has to “keep his eye on the donut”.
Probably a good idea: self-analysis can be damaging. Look at what happened to Tony Hancock!

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
Clicked on this thread thinking it was about some hypothetical ep of the prison drama Oz directed by Lynch... Not sure if I'm dissapointed or relieved that never happened.