Lynch in Spielberg's "The Fabelmans"

N. Needleman

RR Diner
Apr 12, 2022
Apologies if I fumble this OP, I'm new at making threads around here. But I had to make a thread for this, since while we knew Lynch is in Spielberg's new biopic, I only just learned he is playing Hollywood legend John Ford (per a Vulture profile with its young star this morning).

Lynch doing Ford will be a sight to behold.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
It has been rumored for a long time that he's playing Ford, so it's not new to me, but yeah, it seems to be confirmed now.

The film had its world premiere on September 10 at the Toronto International Film Festival. It has received positive reviews so far and, given my newly-found interest in Spielberg, I'm looking forward to it very much.

Lynch playing Ford will just be a unique bonus.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
I’d read that he would be playing a fictional director based on Ford (since the movie is a fictionalized version of Spielberg’s life). But having him donning an eyepatch and literally playing Ford himself is a bizarre and tantalizing prospect.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
I generally like and respect Spielberg, but that trailer really made me roll my eyes...but there's nothing that will keep me away from seeing Lynch in this movie.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
I generally like and respect Spielberg, but that trailer really made me roll my eyes...but there's nothing that will keep me away from seeing Lynch in this movie.
I’m mixed on Spielberg. He’s undeniably a really talented filmmaker and has made some truly iconic stuff, but his legacy alongside Lucas is killing the New Hollywood era of the 1960s and 1970s. You can’t really hold that against him, it’s not like he did it intentionally, but we’re still sadly feeling the effects of it today. You can trace a direct line from Spielberg and Lucas to the Marvel movies (which I do enjoy, but it’s depressing to think what might have been if cinema had gone in a different direction). Just on the merits of his films, it’s been a long time since I’ve truly connected with a Spielberg movie in any kind of meaningful way. Catch Me If You Can, maybe? Not that he hasn’t done some good stuff since then; I liked Lincoln. But it’s tough for me to get excited about a Spielberg project, although the idea of him doing an autobiographical work is interesting and unique for him.

Lynch’s onscreen performances are always a joy though. I loved him as Jack Dahl on Louie. I watched a John Ford interview this morning after reading Needleman’s post, where Ford was just being a complete dick to a French interviewer, and I also watched a video of Spielberg describing his encounter with Ford. Seeing Lynch act that out should be a real joy. It’s an interesting choice since Lynch’s delivery is so distinctively midwestern, and Ford was more neutral but with New England affects creeping in here and there. I wonder if Lynch would alter his speaking patterns a bit.

Last edited:

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
Peak Spieberg (Duel to around Saving Private Ryan) is really, really good, but I'm still thankful he did not direct Peaks' season 2 opener. Although Dale Cooper might have worked as a Spielbergian protagonist, a bookish thrillseeker in a similar vein as Indiana Jones or Sam Neil's JP character.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I'm personally not a huge Spielberg fan, buts Jaws, E.T., and Schindler's List are all perfect cinema, albeit each for different reasons.

A film like E.T. could've ended up like Mac and Me under a lesser director's care.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
I was on a film set all week where they had bags of cheetos for us to take, and out of boredom and kind of a challenge to myself, I snuck as many bags home as I can all week at the end of every shoot day. I overdid it on the cheetos like crazy. Lynch would have loved that set.

AXX°N N.

Waiting Room
Apr 14, 2022
He must have been into them at least as far back as S3 because now that I think about it, they're the most focused on snack in relation to Chantal. They're sprinkled on the floor of her motel room, there's a single bag placed on her chair in a rather imperious posture, and she's eating "Cruncheez" in her pre-death stakeout.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
He must have been into them at least as far back as S3 because now that I think about it, they're the most focused on snack in relation to Chantal. They're sprinkled on the floor of her motel room, there's a single bag placed on her chair in a rather imperious posture, and she's eating "Cruncheez" in her pre-death stakeout.
She also hands a bag of Cheetos to Evil Coop in Part 9, I believe!

AXX°N N.

Waiting Room
Apr 14, 2022
She also hands a bag of Cheetos to Evil Coop in Part 9, I believe!
I knew I must have missed one; I went back and checked, and it is indeed Cheetos she solemnly & lovingly places into his hand. What a rabbit hole. I wonder if there's more ... time for a Cheetos-focused rewatch! :coffee:

Jasper

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
Apr 12, 2022
I saw someone say somewhere the Cheetos eating thing in season 3 is cause they are a corn product
Hungry Frito-Lay GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Chester Cheetah Fire GIF by Cheetos

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I love that: placing seemingly random and unimportant things in scenes that only end up there because the author loves them. I have a few obsessions of my own that I tend to place into every creative work I produce, so I can appreciate that kind of urge. Lynch was always an interesting individual.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
Saw The Fabelmans last night! Uhhh, wow...

I loved the film (and I was not expecting to),
but the buildup to a meeting with "the greatest director of all time" and in a strange multilayered moment, it's revealed to be...David Lynch...I know, he's PLAYING John Ford, but....

There's this incredible emotional manipulation happening here, because in this moment the character meeting John Ford is supposed to be having this nervewracking, exciting, surreal experience that this is actually happening. But Spielberg casting Lynch makes you ACTUALLY FEEL all those emotions with him, because just like the character, you're sitting there going "what the hell!?? This is... insane!!"

It was hilarious and incredible and the energy in the admittedly hipster artsy theater I saw it in really got electric during this scene. What a way to end a movie! Wow.