Jim Jarmusch

sneakydave

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
Any fans of Jim Jarmusch in here?

Outwith Lynch he's my favourite director.

I'm not as well read in film or as verbose as a lot of folks in here so I won't embarrass myself trying to explain anything about why I like his films.

All I can say that his movies are just indescribably cool. He makes the mundane incredibly watchable and is an absolutely fantastic director.

I'd pay money to watch a conversation between him and Lynch. I see some similarities in their directing styles.

My top 5 are probably:

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
Paterson
Mystery Train
Night on Earth
Only Lovers Left Alive

Any fellow fans in here?

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
Paterson is one of the best films I've ever seen tbh.

Or at least one of my favourite if not one of the best.

sneakydave

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
It's amazing isn't it. Adam Driver is phenomenal in it. Just such a down to earth story. Utterly beautiful at points.

Man, I want to rewatch it now. šŸ˜‚

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
It's amazing isn't it. Adam Driver is phenomenal in it. Just such a down to earth story. Utterly beautiful at points.

Man, I want to rewatch it now. šŸ˜‚

A lot of The Return's meandering slice-of-lifeiness reminded me of Paterson.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I've loved Jarmusch since my first year of attending university - the same time I discovered Lynch. His films remind me of that time, the period of my life I feel most nostalgic about.

He's in my top 7 directors of all time, and I've seen all of his (fiction) films.

My favourites:
1. Stranger Than Paradise
2. Permanent Vacation
3. Paterson
4. Coffee and Cigarettes
5. Broken Flowers

His influence on me was enormous. I even made short films inspired by him:

Even today, when writing my new novel, I look back at that period and I still feel his artistic presence. In simple words: his work was a major inspiration during a period of my life which probably defined me the most.

Last edited:

Mb3

RR Diner
Apr 12, 2022
I like his movies a lot and since I'm a fan of the Stooges, I thought that his Gimme Danger documentary was good too.
Other movies of Jarmusch that I like are Stranger Than Paradise, Down by Law, Mystery Train, Night on Earth, Dead Man, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai and Paterson.

sneakydave

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
I've yet to see Limits of Control.

I had somehow missed it's existence until a few months ago. The trailer looks typical Jarmusch though so I'm pretty confident I would enjoy it.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I've yet to see Limits of Control.

I had somehow missed it's existence until a few months ago. The trailer looks typical Jarmusch though so I'm pretty confident I would enjoy it.
I've seen it only once, back when it came out, so I don't remember it too well, but I recall it being rather slow and not having the quirky charm that I like in his films. But you should definitely see it, and I should probably rewatch it too.

That reminds me: I didn't like The Dead Don't Die at all. His weakest film, in my opinion.

saturn's child

RR Diner
Apr 17, 2022
I've only seen Dead Man, Coffee and Cigarettes, Paterson, & Only Lovers Left Alive but loved them all, I'll have to chase some more up.
I'm very keen to see Ghost Dog!