Have you ever met/interacted with Lynch?

Ickles

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
@Laura Lydecker 's post about interviewing Lynch got me curious...how many of y'all have ever met or spoken with the Man himself?

I've technically "met" him 3 times. Once after an early screening of MD (2001) that he introduced with Naomi Watts. I knew the guy who ran the theater it was at and he briefly introduced me to them afterwards. I was pretty star struck and stammered some version of "you are my favorite filmmaker" and he was typically folksy and nice. I believe he said something to the effect of "bless your heart" and asked me how I liked the film. I have no idea what the hell I said in response other than some variation of "it was brilliant" and he smiled and said thank you.

Few years later I flew to NY to see the North American premiere of IE, introduced by Lynch himself. Afterwards I lucked into seeing him in the lobby, talking with a few people and I worked up the nerve to walk up and say hello and told him how much I loved the film. Again, he was exceedingly nice and told me thank you.

Last time I saw him he was doing a signing at the video store I worked at around 2007/2008 (I think for the Lime Green Box Set or something self-released like that). The signing was open to the public so there was huge lines around the block but they let us employees get stuff signed and say hello first before the store opened and I got my copy of the Lost Highway screenplay book signed (was/still is my favorite Lynch film and was massively influential on me wanting to become a filmmaker). I told him as much re: Lost Highway and he was very warm and appreciative.

Anybody else have any "I met Lynch" stories?

dl_fan

Sparkwood & 21
Apr 13, 2022
I "met" him once, at the first "David Lynch Weekend" in 2006 in Fairfield Iowa. After he spoke, he was working his way through the crowd, and I managed to shake his hand, and tell him what a fan I was of his work (at least that was my intent, I'm not sure what I said exactly, I was also pretty starstruck ). I also got my Twin Peaks season one dvd signed. He appeared to be very accommodating to everyone who approached him.

marchug

Sparkwood & 21
Apr 15, 2022
When I lived in Brooklyn I was walking down Kent ave with my girlfriend at the time and our dog. It was around 2005 I think? We were about a half a block away from him when I realized it was HIM. He was so much taller than I had imagined. He was taking photos of the old Domino Sugar Factory (which had just recently shut down for good). My girlfriend kept saying "go talk to him! Go talk to him! DO IT" but I just felt kinda nervous and was thinking what the hell am I going to say to DAVID LYNCH? When we were passing by him she looks at him and says "Hey David, got a cigarette?" He said "Sure do" in that unmistakable voice of his. He gave her an American Spirit and she lit it while he bent down and pet our dog. There was a gal with him who must have been a handler or personal assistant and she looked half annoyed and half nervous that we were interrupting his time. Anyway, he looked at me, I nodded like a cool guy or something dumb, he smiled, my girlfriend thanked him for the cigarette and we were on our way.
I am not sure if it was some sort of starstruck feeling (I've met plenty of famous musicians and a few actors and never felt this) or if it was just the magic that Lynch has and exudes. Anyway, I was pretty giddy for a few hours afterwards!

formicatabletop

Sparkwood & 21
Apr 26, 2022
When I lived in Brooklyn I was walking down Kent ave with my girlfriend at the time and our dog. It was around 2005 I think? We were about a half a block away from him when I realized it was HIM. He was so much taller than I had imagined. He was taking photos of the old Domino Sugar Factory (which had just recently shut down for good). My girlfriend kept saying "go talk to him! Go talk to him! DO IT" but I just felt kinda nervous and was thinking what the hell am I going to say to DAVID LYNCH? When we were passing by him she looks at him and says "Hey David, got a cigarette?" He said "Sure do" in that unmistakable voice of his. He gave her an American Spirit and she lit it while he bent down and pet our dog. There was a gal with him who must have been a handler or personal assistant and she looked half annoyed and half nervous that we were interrupting his time. Anyway, he looked at me, I nodded like a cool guy or something dumb, he smiled, my girlfriend thanked him for the cigarette and we were on our way.
I am not sure if it was some sort of starstruck feeling (I've met plenty of famous musicians and a few actors and never felt this) or if it was just the magic that Lynch has and exudes. Anyway, I was pretty giddy for a few hours afterwards!

I lived in Greenpoint for part of 2019/2020 and was flabbergasted when I first popped by the closest bodega (Franklin Corner Cafe - great sandwiches!) and noticed this above the door

Attachments

• from DKL to the FCB.jpg
    from DKL to the FCB.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 15

SaltedGinger

Sparkwood & 21
Apr 12, 2022
I met him just after he filmed the scene where Richard kills the little boy at the intersection. I had just missed meeting Harry Dean Stanton after he'd finished his scene and wasn't going to miss my chance to meet Lynch. He was nice of course and took the time to sign my vinyl copy of the OST and take some pictures with a few fans. Met Mark Frost a little while before meeting Lynch, actually ate in the RR Diner earlier that day when Frost was eating with his family at the same time. Such an awesome day.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
I met him when I lived in LA for a period. He did a signing at Amoeba Records for the then-new Crazy Clown Time album. I told him that he was a huge inspiration for me moving to LA, and he responded, “Well, good luck to ya, buddy!” He signed my Crazy Clown Time CD, as well as my INLAND EMPIRE DVD.

I met Mark years later at a book signing for Secret History, strangely enough on the same day I was sworn in as an Assistant District Attorney, which made for some nice conversation about his depictions of law enforcement in TP and Hill Street Blues (when we finished chatting, he left me with a “let’s be careful out there!”)

Last edited: