Halloween Ends (spoilers)

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I really liked this film, although
the final Laurie/Michael showdown felt kind of tacked on to what was Corey and Allison's story.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
One thing I really appreciated:

the nighttime motorcycle scenes were very aesthetic. At times this felt like the small town horror answer to "Drive" starring Ryan Gosling. I did find Cory's arc and his romance to be very engaging, even if it felt a little out of place in a Halloween film. Although I don't really mind Michael's diminished screen time here, as having him be front and center in a film isn't neccesarily a guarantee of quality (as seen in 5, 6, Resurrection, both Rob Zombie flicks).

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
I haven’t seen any of the Halloween films but the overwhelmingly negative critical response to this latest one has me curious to see what’s wrong.

AXX°N N.

Waiting Room
Apr 14, 2022
I haven’t seen any of the Halloween films but the overwhelmingly negative critical response to this latest one has me curious to see what’s wrong.
As someone who doesn't particularly go for horror films, the first is a bona fide great film in general. It's like Alien, a premise that works nearly perfectly in marriage to the execution and is such a simple, novel concept that it's a shame sequelitis and franchising has overshadowed its merits as a single experience that can't really be repeated or emulated.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
Yeah, the original is a perfect film, and the sequels are all over the place. I'm generally not a fan of the sequels, although I have enjoyed the recent trilogy of David Gordon Green films. At his best he brings a Terrence Malick sort of quality to his works -- Halloween Ends almost
felt like it might turn into some darker version of Badlands with its outsider love story between Cory and Allison.

Jordan Cole

White Lodge
Sep 22, 2022
I really liked this film, although
the final Laurie/Michael showdown felt kind of tacked on to what was Corey and Allison's story.
KIND OF?

Anyway, I really dislike David Gordon Green's Halloween films, but this third one maybe was the best one, at least for part of it.

I love the original, but I also like the (original) sequels, because I am a horror fan and I find franchises fascinating, especially when they get bad/goofy/weird/etc. I just love the whole journey. I find the original sequels charming, but Green's films to be kind of arrogant and annoying.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
KIND OF?

Anyway, I really dislike David Gordon Green's Halloween films, but this third one maybe was the best one, at least for part of it.

I love the original, but I also like the (original) sequels, because I am a horror fan and I find franchises fascinating, especially when they get bad/goofy/weird/etc. I just love the whole journey. I find the original sequels charming, but Green's films to be kind of arrogant and annoying.
In a lot of ways the Halloween franchise is cursed to have such a perfect first entry -- contrast with Friday the 13th, which has just a (IMO) serviceable first film, leaving all subsequent entries without the burden of having to live up to a masterpiece.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
On the topic of the original sequels.... Season of the Witch has some awesome music.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I've only ever seen Dan O'Herlihy in a few things, but he's always entertaining. Loved him in H3...

For as dumb and soap opera-ish as the Andrew Packard stuff was, he made it fun to watch.