Filicide in Season 3

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
The Ray Wise in S3 thread got me thinking — even though there is next to no Leland in The Return, there is still a depiction of filicide in Mr. C and Richard. I’m not entirely sure how to describe what transpires between Richard and C (zaps him on a rock?) but it seems to be very different than the filicide depicted in FWWM or even Eraserhead. While those two films showed it as a bloody and very intentional act, in Richard’s case it’s somehow passive and clean.

I do wonder if Cooper going by Richard in ep 18 is some Lynchian version of a parent attempting to live vicariously through a child.

Anywho, just thoughts.

Jasper

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
Apr 12, 2022
I agree that’s it’s more or less passive in the case of Mr. C and Richard.

Mr. C is given fake coordinates leading to a trap meant to kill him. He doesn’t know that it’s a trap, but he’s cautious enough to send Richard up first as a guinea pig. Obviously, it doesn’t go so well for Richard. Upon losing the little monster that he’s created, Mr. C then displays about as much care as he seems able to feel or express for another individual, which isn’t much.

Jasper

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
Apr 12, 2022
Interestingly, it does appear to be something.

I’m think it’s likely that Mr. C would have preferred to have kept Richard as his evil disciple, and perhaps for Richard to have helped spawn an entire wicked lineage.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I’m not entirely convinced that Mr. C didn’t get the “trap” coordinates. What if Richard got what C was looking for? After all, in 18 there is a “Richard” walking around as a version of Cooper.