LOST HIGHWAY Criterion 4K Blu-Ray confirmed for 10/11 release

Ickles

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022

STItnM0YCOhRjkbk50fCGHlj4gjjci_large.jpg

Edition includes:
  • New 4K digital restoration, supervised and approved by director David Lynch, with new 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
  • Alternate uncompressed stereo soundtrack
  • For the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
  • Pretty as a Picture: The Art of David Lynch, a feature-length 1997 documentary by Toby Keeler featuring Lynch and his collaborators Angelo Badalamenti, Peter Deming, Barry Gifford, Mary Sweeney, and others, along with on-set footage from Lost Highway
  • Reading by Lynch and critic Kristine McKenna of excerpts from their 2018 book, Room to Dream
  • Archival interviews with Lynch and actors Patricia Arquette, Bill Pullman, and Robert Loggia
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: Excerpts from an interview with Lynch from filmmaker and writer Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch

New cover by Fred Davis

Last edited:

Ickles

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
No deleted scenes is a shame.
Yeah, agreed. Although it makes sense why LH is ready to go sooner as a physical release instead of IE, which is apparently still in the works for release in 2023. That gives me hope the supplemental material on IE will be a bit more robust and we might see some surprise bonus content 🤞

AXX°N N.

Waiting Room
Apr 14, 2022
Yes! So glad Petty as a Picture is included. I'd been keeping the disc for it in my LH dvd, now it's an official package. Bummed about no new extra spicy supplements but it's great LH will have a good release finally.

Metalane

Great Northern Hotel
Jul 16, 2022
So according to Criterion, the upcoming Lost Highway remaster will have HDR grading. Which is crazy to me, because I only assumed modern cameras had the color tech for that. Old film cameras are probably more advanced is most areas than I assume.

Will this be the first Lynch film with HDR mastering? All the other Criterion ones of Lynch I have don’t mention it. And on top of that, I swear the 4K that Criterion doesn’t look as sharp as you would expect imo, but with old film stock you can only upscale so far.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
Actually, I now wonder whether the deleted scenes from this film survive at all. We know that the deleted scenes from Wild at Heart only survived due to a very beat-up workprint found in Lynch’s garage, and the footage from Blue Velvet “was lost but now it’s found” in a warehouse belonging to Dino DeLaurentiis somewhere in North Carolina. Given the lengths Lynch went to tank the Kino Lorber release of Lost Highway, one would think he’d want the Criterion edition to be as definitive as possible. If they didn’t include the deleted footage here, maybe it just sadly doesn’t exist?

underthefan

Great Northern Hotel
Apr 12, 2022
Here's an early review of the 4K and Blu-ray discs:

Lost Highway 4K Blu-ray (DigiPack)

I have to agree with the reviewer and say (at least beased on the screenshots) that this transfer appears to be far too washed out and desaturated and not how I remember seeing it in the theaters. Also, not how those Janus stills looked when they did the theatrical restoration.

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
Here's an early review of the 4K and Blu-ray discs:

Lost Highway 4K Blu-ray (DigiPack)

I have to agree with the reviewer and say (at least beased on the screenshots) that this transfer appears to be far too washed out and desaturated and not how I remember seeing it in the theaters. Also, not how those Janus stills looked when they did the theatrical restoration.
I hope they haven't introduced an incorrect colour space during encoding. Unfortunately, it happens more often than it should, see Arrow's release of Lady Snowblood!

David Locke

RR Diner
Apr 12, 2022
I just got the Criterion blu-ray in the mail and watched it last night. The transfer seems right-on to me, having seen the film in 35mm twice over the years. Admittedly I don't think the Kino blu-ray looked bad either (same for the Universal R1 DVD which is basically identical to the Kino). But the Kino has a kind of brown/yellow tinge to it that doesn't seem totally right. The Criterion has more contrast and detail, it really looks quite beautiful and I'd be surprised if it was inaccurate considering also it's the only HD transfer of the film Lynch has supervised and approved.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
I just got the Criterion blu-ray in the mail and watched it last night. The transfer seems right-on to me, having seen the film in 35mm twice over the years. Admittedly I don't think the Kino blu-ray looked bad either (same for the Universal R1 DVD which is basically identical to the Kino). But the Kino has a kind of brown/yellow tinge to it that doesn't seem totally right. The Criterion has more contrast and detail, it really looks quite beautiful and I'd be surprised if it was inaccurate considering also it's the only HD transfer of the film Lynch has supervised and approved.
Yeah, I’m super pleased with the Criterion transfer. The blacks are deep (Fred walking in and out of pitch-black halls is seamless as Lynch intended it), the blown-out whites of the “Song to the Siren” sequence are perfect. This was never meant to necessarily be an all-around beautiful movie, but my go-to comparisons are the extreme closeups on Patricia Arquette’s eyes and the “Hollywood Sunset” sequence, and the Criterion transfer wins both of these comparisons against the Kino transfer.

underthefan

Great Northern Hotel
Apr 12, 2022
Thanks Locke and Reindeer for your thoughts on the new disc! Much appreciated. I'm eagerly awaiting the VHS tape Blu-ray on my porch in the mail.

eyeboogers

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 14, 2022
Do not buy the UK Criterion release of "Lost Highway". I did, and it does not come with the 4K disc, blu ray only, and the marketing was a bit misleading upon purchase stating that it is a 4K transfer(which is obviously correct, but still...). Pay whatever import duties needed to get the US version, which is also supposed to have nicer packaging.