Cellophane Memories

Gotta say, this whole roll out has been kind of a clunker. I get the initial tease announcement video on Twitter, that was fun and got the community talking. 10/10

But almost immediately having Sacred Bones and Chrystabell post cover art and a release date on various social media platforms really killed the mystery. It was all but written in big bold letters "THIS IS A SACRED BONES MUSIC RELEASE"

Now, reading the discourse online with folks like Chrystabell being mad when fans in different timezones where it is June 5th "leak" the release strikes me as kind of entrapment. Like nobody hacked into the label's server or posted the whole record on filing sharing sites, etc. They woke up, saw it available in their timezone and posted about it? Isn't that how global rollouts work? They accomplished their goal, it's not the world's fault that it's the 5th in some places and not in others. Not really getting the pearl clutching. If you didn't want people discovering the single dropped early, don't give them a roadmap on where to look a week ahead of time.

But almost immediately having Sacred Bones and Chrystabell post cover art and a release date on various social media platforms really killed the mystery. It was all but written in big bold letters "THIS IS A SACRED BONES MUSIC RELEASE"
Yet half the comments I'm reading across the net are agitated responses like "how dare they have made it out that it's a new film!" Which means they aren't aware about the pretty transparent indications it was music, and probably read a bunch of stuff the tabloids jumped on about it being TP related. I saw a bunch of folks take the mere existence of something on June 5th as being "TP Season 4 is happening!"

So, I'm liable to take this as a damned if you do, damned if you don't, damned for don'ting if you do and doing if you don't, otherwise known as "lol internet."

Yet half the comments I'm reading across the net are agitated responses like "how dare they have made it out that it's a new film!" Which means they aren't aware about the pretty transparent indications it was music, and probably read a bunch of stuff the tabloids jumped on about it being TP related. I saw a bunch of folks take the mere existence of something on June 5th as being "TP Season 4 is happening!"

So, I'm liable to take this as a damned if you do, damned if you don't, damned for don'ting if you do and doing if you don't, otherwise known as "lol internet."
Yeah, don't get me wrong I'm happy they teased it early. I think it helped to temper expectations a bit. The part that strikes me as odd is now getting upset when fans are posting links to the pre-order page on iTunes in different regions or the Youtube link to the video when it is available in their region to view. Like, they aren't really leaking any forbidden info or doing something wrong, it is the date in question where they are at...what is the issue? Anyways, that's what I get for being online so much today, going down the rabbit hole of endless bickering aka "lol internet."

The part that strikes me as odd is now getting upset when fans are posting links to the pre-order page on iTunes in different regions or the Youtube link to the video when it is available in their region to view. Like, they aren't really leaking any forbidden info or doing something wrong, it is the date in question where they are at...what is the issue?
Wait was it Chrysta Bell herself disapproving? I can't find anything on that.

Only thing I saw that might explain this is fans were telling each other to use VPNs to access the album early, and in that case it meant scores of people were already listening when it had only dropped in New Zealand. I guess that would constitute some sort of balloon deflating in the eyes of someone who was wanting to keep it semi-hyped.

Wait was it Chrysta Bell herself disapproving? I can't find anything on that.

Only thing I saw that might explain this is fans were telling each other to use VPNs to access the album early, and in that case it meant scores of people were already listening when it had only dropped in New Zealand. I guess that would constitute some sort of balloon deflating in the eyes of someone who was wanting to keep it semi-hyped.
Yeah, there was a whole thing on Twitter earlier where she pushed back on people tweeting about it and Welcome To Twin Peaks for running a piece on their site with the pre-order details (which they've since deleted, at her request). Fatecolossal was pressured into deleting their thread that called attention to "the leak" by "spoiler" averse fans, etc. The VPN workaround tip I can see being annoyed about but it's kind of naive to assume ravenous fans wouldn't try to do that anyway but sure, some minor wrist slapping about not promoting that specifically I can see. Just the "outrage" about spoiling the rollout they wanted seems a bit contrived when they basically did exactly what they wanted but it's just the 5th in different timezones. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The VPN workaround tip I can see being annoyed about but it's kind of naive to assume ravenous fans wouldn't try to do that anyway but sure, some minor wrist slapping about not promoting that I can see.
I don't know, I think the behavior of fans in this newfangled digital age is hard to keep up with and liable to surprise those uninitiated. I myself have done the VPN workaround to listen to an album early, because it was the first in a long time I was super excited about. But when I was doing that I kept thinking to myself how strange it was to be doing this instead of being patient a half-day. Still did it though!

Yeah, I guess I'm now also confused, I thought the motto was "any press is good press"? Not sure how wise it is to scrub away what is, at the end of the day, hype.

It does make me think in terms of comparisons, though. The hunger for a TP S4 or a new DL film is insane. There's this palpable quality to it and there was nothing like this back when, for instance, Lynch teamed up with Chrysta Bell to do This Train. Sure, there's liable to be disappointment when Lynch does anything unrelated to the audio-visual, and there was some of that, but now it feels like there's this kind of organ out there across social media that is all-consuming regarding Lynch's every move. I'm glad he's willfully numb to it, frankly, because I've seen this kind of thing really eat away at others.

Gotta say, this whole roll out has been kind of a clunker. I get the initial tease announcement video on Twitter, that was fun and got the community talking. 10/10

Now, reading the discourse online with folks like Chrystabell being mad when fans in different timezones where it is June 5th "leak" the release strikes me as kind of entrapment. Like nobody hacked into the label's server or posted the whole record on filing sharing sites, etc. They woke up, saw it available in their timezone and posted about it? Isn't that how global rollouts work? They accomplished their goal, it's not the world's fault that it's the 5th in some places and not in others. Not really getting the pearl clutching. If you didn't want people discovering the single dropped early, don't give them a roadmap on where to look a week ahead of time.
I get things five hours earlier than the USA here in the UK, but that can work the other way too. A few years ago, my folks ordered me the complete 1960s Batman series on iTunes for Christmas. It turned up at 3am on Boxing Day! I was NOT amused, because I'd been looking forward to watching a few episodes on Christmas Day night!! In Cupertino, of course, it was still Christmas Day night!!

Last edited:
I am very sorry to be harsh but I myself am not a fan of Chrystabell's singing and this is deeply disappointing to me as Lynch's announcement. I'll give the album a shot but I haven't even been able to make it through one song previously.

I am very sorry to be harsh but I myself am not a fan of Chrystabell's singing and this is deeply disappointing to me as Lynch's announcement. I'll give the album a shot but I haven't even been able to make it through one song previously.
Surely you must like Polish Poem, part of the soundtrack for INLAND EMPIRE? I did like her version of Falling a lot. I do think her singing is unusual for a lot of us listeners more used to other types of commercial pop music, yet she does possess a wonderful voice.

The album Cellophane Memories is now listed on YouTube but only the one song is available. So is a video still forthcoming today?

Personally I'm hyped about this announcement. I love Chrystabell's music and I'm psyched she's working with David again. People throw themselves into a tizzy and build hopes and expectations in their heads and are then furious when it doesn't turn out they way they want it to. I think that "hear" was a dead giveaway this was always going to be about music. You'd think by now people would learn to be wary of these clickbait sources that are just peddling bs.

You never finished Inland Empire? :p

Polish Poem has to be one of my favorite musical moments in film. I've generally liked her other stuff, and I think Lynch's sensibilities match her style really well--like if there was a lounge singer not just in the Roadhouse, but in the much seedier Pink Room.

I've found that me and my friends' disagreements on bands/albums will often be entirely related to a singer's voice, even if everything else checks out. And in Chrysta Bell's case, the genre of "torch singer" is liable to cause immediate rankle because it's a style of singing that leans into certain exaggerations of technique many are liable to say aren't techniques at all and are just "objectively" poor vocal control.

Björk has what I consider one of the most beautiful voices imaginable, yet Family Guy was of the opinion it was indistinguishable from a caterwauling Bobcat Goldthwait. MadTV lampooned her in similar ways. I've often seen people casually say they dislike her because she "can't sing at all" despite formal training that began at the ideal age of, like, 5. And it's the same issue--she intentionally flouts what are often considered the "rules" of good singing, and places odd emphasis on syllables outside of the expected time signatures.

Personally I'm hyped about this announcement. I love Chrystabell's music and I'm psyched she's working with David again. People throw themselves into a tizzy and build hopes and expectations in their heads and are then furious when it doesn't turn out they way they want it to.
Here's the thing though, not everyone follows every source or follows up on the original source. Maybe the majority only saw Lynch's tweet about something coming on June FIVE. (Or read the press about it.) It's conceivable they heard nothing more beyond this. Some of his more casual fans don't even know he makes music or has collaborated with Chrystabell in the past. And if they don't know his music, they don't know his record label either. And chances are high a lot of them don't read this forum or the Reddit subs devoted to following his work. What I'm trying to say is that all they knew going into this was that David Lynch said something was coming. He's a director to them. That's all. Not a musician. Not an artist. A movie director. I understand how not knowing more about him can lead to misguided expectations.

Also, for anyone with light sensitivity, know that the video employs, from the beginning, very heavy strobe effects.

Also, for anyone with light sensitivity, know that the video employs, from the beginning, very heavy strobe effects.
I never used to have a problem with them. Nowadays, as a migraine sufferer, they cause me a lot of problems! I can't prove it, but I blame the move from incandescent light bulbs to LED for the huge increase in the number of migraines I suffer from. Thanks for flagging it up!

You never finished Inland Empire? :p

Polish Poem has to be one of my favorite musical moments in film. I've generally liked her other stuff, and I think Lynch's sensibilities match her style really well--like if there was a lounge singer not just in the Roadhouse, but in the much seedier Pink Room.

I should have rephrased my post...

I like the music and the vibe of Polish Poem but the vocal just throws me off, which WORKS in a Lynch film because nearly every decision throws you off and that's a good thing. But it's not the kind of music I'm going to sit around and listen to or be excited about. I much prefer some of his other collaborators and vocalists like Cruise, or...himself, or even BlueBob which is one of my favorite albums.

Not trying to be rude, it's just not what I was hoping for. I would have been excited if it was about him releasing a third Lynch album, complete with a new music video in the realm of Crazy Clown Time. I listen to his albums all the time, especially while driving. I just can't get into Chrystabell's vocal delivery. It's too melodramatic or something.

It does make me think in terms of comparisons, though. The hunger for a TP S4 or a new DL film is insane. There's this palpable quality to it and there was nothing like this back when, for instance, Lynch teamed up with Chrysta Bell to do This Train.
Is it, though? I know the original series (I was just a baby at the time) was wildly popular in its time while The Return for example is, I'd say, rather underdiscovered. I rarely see people talk about it or TP, and I've only came across it because I knew about TP for some while ago for other reasons. And getting people into TP is a hard sell nowadays.

It's a fairly small cult fanbase I'd say and half of it doesn't seem to even want an S4 so I'm confused where this hunger is really coming from, and, especially, why news outlets are piggybacking on it. Seems some artificial social media amplification, perhaps.

Is it, though? I know the original series (I was just a baby at the time) was wildly popular in its time while The Return for example is, I'd say, rather underdiscovered. I rarely see people talk about it or TP, and I've only came across it because I knew about TP for some while ago for other reasons. And getting people into TP is a hard sell nowadays.

It's a fairly small cult fanbase I'd say and half of it doesn't seem to even want an S4 so I'm confused where this hunger is really coming from, and, especially, why news outlets are piggybacking on it. Seems some artificial social media amplification, perhaps.

That's not been my experience at all, at least in my circles. Twin Peaks and s3 (and a potential 4) is a common topic of conversation. I think everybody I know is pretty into Lynch and his work, both in real life and also online. But fair enough, it may be a "bubble."

I should have rephrased my post...

I like the music and the vibe of Polish Poem but the vocal just throws me off, which WORKS in a Lynch film because nearly every decision throws you off and that's a good thing. But it's not the kind of music I'm going to sit around and listen to or be excited about. I much prefer some of his other collaborators and vocalists like Cruise, or...himself, or even BlueBob which is one of my favorite albums.

Not trying to be rude, it's just not what I was hoping for. I would have been excited if it was about him releasing a third Lynch album, complete with a new music video in the realm of Crazy Clown Time. I listen to his albums all the time, especially while driving. I just can't get into Chrystabell's vocal delivery. It's too melodramatic or something.
It pains me to say this, as I pride myself on being a fan who is generally positive about All Things Lynch, but I'm having trouble being excited about this also. Like you said, a Crazy Clown Time-esque release would be a bit more thrilling. The solo Lynch stuff feels alive and interesting, there's nothing about this new single that really does much for me and the video isn't really evocative of anything or establishing a mood. It's just...there.

So yeah, I would consider myself disappointed in this as well. Not because I expected a film announcement or anything, we all knew it was going to be an album on Sacred Bones but this feels more like a Chrystabell album with Lynch involved than a Lynch album with Chrystabell invovled and I'm not really her biggest fan.

Oh, it's definitely a niche. When I said "insane" I was thinking more qualitatively than quantitatively; it's nowhere in the ballpark of, like, Star Wars. Within our own bubble, our 100+ page thread on Unrecorded Night is a good example.

Regarding the popularity of the original series, it's a difference in the media and social landscape, which today I'd say are significantly fused like never before. Millions more people watched the show back then but their engagement was different; they talked at the water cooler, or else they joined truly niche bubbles like C.O.O.P. or subscribing to the Wrapped in Plastic fanzine. Then outside of maybe something like ET talking about one of the stars or having a segment on how popular the show is, that was the end.

Nowadays you have Youtube and Twitter accounts that trade in rumor and inside scoops.

Back in the way more quiet period of, say, the pre-Inland Empire days, Youtube didn't exist yet, and the closest thing was actually Lynch's website which had a proto-Youtube portal for fans to upload videos, and a chatroom for fans where he joined real-time discussions. It was so, so insular.

I think nowadays what hype there is is a result of two things, clout from the ciritical reception of S3 and fan fervor however small in count, which translates to clicks. Many esteemed places ranked S3 highly and talked it up as a significant wrench thrown into the TV vs. film debate, its influence has been seen trickling into other prestige dramas, etc. which results in other people jumping on that, and so we end up with e.g. a 4-hour Youtube documentary "explaining" TP with 2.9 million views. That's more than any episode of S3 drew on its airing dates.

Back