: - ) ALL All Things Peaks

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
I’ve still got the Artisan Season 1 DVD set from 2001, the only source for the audio commentaries, which are great. I’ve kept the 2007 Gold Box as it has a few things that didn’t get ported over for The Entire Mystery, presumably for rights reasons (the Georgia Coffee commercials, Julee Cruise’s “Falling” music video, and the SNL monologue and sketch...if I recall, it also has some fun early commercials for the show that weren’t on The Entire Mystery, with the great cheesy slogan “Twin Peaks...it’s a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to die there”). And then I have The Entire Mystery, the Limited Event Series set, Z to A, and the Criterion FWWM. I used to have the old New Line DVD of FWWM, but I got rid of that when The Entire Mystery came out.

Speaking of home media, LateReg mentioned to me yesterday that with Criterion partnering with Disney to do a release of WALL-E, this opens the intriguing possibility that Criterion will get to release the Disney-owned Straight Story, a prospect I’d all but given up on. Pretty soon it will be the only Lynch film left that hasn’t gotten a Blu Ray release in the US. Disney are usually pretty possessive of their properties, even the ones they don’t care about, but their willingness to partner with Criterion is very encouraging.

Last edited:

MasterMastermnd

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
The Straight Story and Jack Clayton's Something Wicked This Way Comes are a couple Disney films which would really fit in with Criterion.

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
@Dom great post
you probably knew about this place already? from the mighty legend Dugpa A History of Twin Peaks on Home Video 1991-2007 – Dugpa.com
Ah. Thank you! I don't remember that! I'll have a read and my memories might come back! There plenty to add now, what with 18 more episodes, Blu-rays, and HD downloads. My FWWM Blu-ray arrives tomorrow and my return to Lynch's universe begins. Now Criterion is available in the UK market, I'm hoping the upcoming Lost Highway will get a release here. That multi-film boxset I owned a few years ago was all right as a 'placeholder', but terribly flawed.

During the lockdowns, I read a lot: I always have, but my reading went off the scale when I had six months without work (a brutal era, for me, financially, as the UK didn't support company directors!) Going up the wall with frustration and needing to occupy myself, I decided to re-read a copy of The Shining that I had lying around, which led to reading Doctor Sleep, which led to me buying a pile of Stephen King's books secondhand online, as I decided to read The Dark Tower series - and most of King's books and miniseries tie into The Dark Tower somewhere, so you have to read a lot more than just the main series to appreciate them.

Among the 30+ King books I read that year, there were his three Hard Case Crime novels, The Colorado Kid, Later and Joyland. I looked at all the other books available from Hard Case Crime and started to investigate. I cannot understate how much I have come to love the Hard Case Crime label for its sheer variety of books by classic and new noir writers. I'm pushing having read 40 of their books now and I found myself sucked back into that noir world I fell in love with when I got into Twin Peaks in 1990.

My love of Twin Peaks was simultaneous to being introduced to Stacy Keach's humorous version of Mike Hammer in reruns on the then-new Sky television service. At the same time as I read the two Twin Peaks books, I read Survival... Zero and The Body Lovers by Mickey Spillane. That led to me reading Chandler's Philip Marlowe, then... nothing much, except for James Ellroy really. That somewhat masculine, muscular, old-school American crime writing wasn't easily found in the UK at the time. In the UK, British crime novels are overwhelmingly written by women and the readership demographic is mostly female. PD James and Ruth Rendell were two of the most fascinating crime writers I ever read. They were both in the House of Lords at the same time representing opposing parties, fittingly!! I watched TV adaptations of the cases of Reg Wexford and Adam Dalgliesh when I was far too young really! Occasionally, I'd find a Lawrence Block or Max Allan Collins book and the odd Spillane. Robert B Parker was disappointingly absent from UK shelves back then too. The 1990s was a frustrating time to be a fan of the genre in the UK, especially with so many neo-noirs such as Basic Instinct, Lost Highway, Seven and LA Confidential being so popular.

In the present day, thanks to AbeBooks and Amazon and labels such as Hard Case Crime, there's a huge amount of American and British noir writing accessible affordably! And I've gorged on it the last two and a half years! Interestingly, my Mum addictively read Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels through lockdown and Reacher is a descendant of the noir tradition, so it seems to be back very much in the mainstream.

So, long story short, I drifted away Lynch's oeuvre after being a fan for decades (I had a lot of unpleasantness going on in my life this time five years ago!) and, akin to season three being about Cooper finding his way back to Twin Peaks, the lockdown saw me find my way back to David Lynch's work via books by Stephen King, Mickey Spillane, Donald E Westlake, Ed McBain, Christa Faust, Charles Ardai, Oakley Hall, Jim Thompson and others. Actually, I'd recommend Oakley Hall's novel So Many Doors to anyone who loves the noir melodrama of the first season of Twin Peaks.

Reading so much noir fiction has deepened my appreciation of Lynch's work. I never realised how ignorant I was of a genre I loved so much. I need to start bingeing more noir movies now. I've always loved neo-noir. I watched The Grifters last night, having read the book a few weeks ago. Again, released in 1990. That was a great year for noir and neo-noir (great decade in fact: the last decade before cellphones ruined everything!!)

It's funny, because Twin Peaks really introduced me to the world of noir, wearing influences I was unaware of on its sleeve. Now, I'm watching Twin Peaks from the perspective of knowing its influences.

Last edited:

LateReg

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 12, 2022
This is such a minor point, but I’ve been kind of fascinated since my 2020 rewatch that Cooper at both Carrie’s house and the Palmer/Reber house seems to consider using the doorbell, then doesn’t, and knocks instead. I have no idea what to make of this (although it calls to mind the Part 16 “title” “No knock, no doorbell”), but I’ve always felt it was a conscious decision by Lynch. Interesting then that in the script pages Reber posted, Cooper DOES both ring the doorbell and knock, but Lynch presumably decided to cut the ring.
Fascinating. I've never actively noticed that. The first thing that comes to mind is that the doorbell requires electricity, with which Cooper may have second thoughts about engaging. Knocking on wood is more situated with the natural world, of course, so there's that dichotomy, always.

Soolsma

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 13, 2022
Found a working Vibraphone hidden away at my university..
Of course this was the first thing I played.

Next up. Find someone to do the vibraphone for me while I play the piano, add some drums and a cello, and all is ready for an hour long last-night-of-Laura-Palmer jam.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
It bugs me a little that we never get to see where Norma lives. The series has such great set design, especially in regards to character dwellings. From the comforting pastel purples of the Hayward house to the ramshackle structure where Leo and Shelly reside, and from Jacoby's tropical getaway to Ed and Nadine's mostly empty living room, the sets always do such a great job of fleshing out the personality of the characters who live there. I'm always curious what Norma's place looks like. Considering Hank slept on a cot in the RR, its not hard to imagine Norma doing the same on occasion.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
Ha, yeah, I always assumed she had a living area in the back of the restaurant
If she has a home outside of the RR, its probably filled with lots of tacky Hank decor she'd rather avoid. Like... Domino bedsheets, domino welcome mat, domino salt and pepper shakers, domino shower curtain, etc.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
Has anyone ever come across a print of Hawk’s map/“living thing” from Part 11 (which I believe was created by Michael Horse?). I know Michael sells his art and jewelry, but I haven’t seen this piece for sale on either his site or the Showtime site. I’d love to have it on my wall next to the Lynch-drawn map of Twin Peaks.

Last edited:

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I’d love to have it on my wall next to the Lynch-drawn map of Twin Peaks.
You have a Lynch-drawn map of Twin Peaks on your wall? That sounds like a great conversation starter when you have guests!

When I hear things like this, I realize how mild my obsession with Twin Peaks actually is.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
You have a Lynch-drawn map of Twin Peaks on your wall? That sounds like a great conversation starter when you have guests!

When I hear things like this, I realize how mild my obsession with Twin Peaks actually is.
The Showtime online store was selling them back when The Return is on. I couldn’t resist!

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
This one?
Yup, that’s the one! I doubt that it’s the exact same map of famous lore that Lynch apparently drew on a diner napkin or whatever as he and Frost conceived the town, but I assume it’s a more polished version he did a little bit later based off of that. Cool bit of Peaks arcana.

Last edited:

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
That's nice. It would be nice to have the map made by Hawk as well.

As for the merchandise of that kind, I only have three small Twin Peaks posters.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
That's nice. It would be nice to have the map made by Hawk as well.

As for the merchandise of that kind, I only have three small Twin Peaks posters.
I’m not too big on merchandise either. Other than stuff like Blu Rays, tie-in books and soundtracks, I don’t go in too much for merch. I do love movie posters and I used to have a bunch from when I managed movie theaters years ago, but I mostly ended up selling those off when I had to downsize. I also like the idea of owning TV/film props that were used on screen, although I don’t actually own many for obvious financial reasons. My one other big Peaks purchase during The Return, besides the Lynch map, was the Owl Cave ring that they released (not the actual screen prop, but a limited edition official replica). Unfortunately, I evidently don’t know how to measure my ring size correctly, so it ended up being way too big for my finger! Still looks neat on my shelf, though.

AXX°N N.

Waiting Room
Apr 14, 2022
I’m not too big on merchandise either. Other than stuff like Blu Rays, tie-in books and soundtracks, I don’t go in too much for merch. I do love movie posters and I used to have a bunch from when I managed movie theaters years ago, but I mostly ended up selling those off when I had to downsize. I also like the idea of owning TV/film props that were used on screen, although I don’t actually own many for obvious financial reasons. My one other big Peaks purchase during The Return, besides the Lynch map, was the Owl Cave ring that they released (not the actual screen prop, but a limited edition official replica). Unfortunately, I evidently don’t know how to measure my ring size correctly, so it ended up being way too big for my finger! Still looks neat on my shelf, though.
Those are my exact same merch picks! Plus the Lynch print of the titular peaks. My ring is also oversize, even though I looked up a couple "how to measure" guides; I've come to think this can really only be done correctly in-person, like trying on shoes. I only ever intended for it to rest on my Z-A set anyway.

Other than that I really only spring for stuff with story content of some kind, so I don't have the new trading card sets, but I do have the old ones for the on-brand blurbs.