LOST HIGHWAY 4K Restoration release date confirmed: June 24

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
Lynch directed and cut this trailer for the new Lost Highway 4K restoration on his phone:

Ickles

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
Sabrina posted a tentative list of theaters playing the 4K restoration once it opens wider after NYC:
Definitely there will be theaters who will be screening this new re-mastering of Lost Highway in the U.S. (and one U.K. place) Here are some of the places tentatively:
Landmark Nuart Los Angeles, CA
Texas Theatre Dallas, TX
Brattle Theatre Cambridge, MA
MFA Houston Houston, TX
Plaza Theatre Atlanta Atlanta, GA
Prytania Theare - Canal Place New Orleans, LA
Revue Cinema Toronto, ON
Roxie Theater San Francisco, CA
Screenland Armour Kansas City, MO
SIE Film Center Denver, CO
SIFF Uptown Seattle, WA
The Cinematheque Vancouver, BC
Austin Film Society Austin, TX
Cleveland Cinematheque Cleveland, OH
Broadway Centre Cinemas Salt Lake City, UT
Hollywood Portland, OR
Maine International Film Festival Waterville, ME
North Park Buffalo, NY
Cinema Rediscovered Bristol, UK
Heights Theater Columbia Heights, MN
AFI Silver Silver Spring, MD
ArtsQuest Bethlehem, PA
Secret Movie Club Los Angeles, CA
Screening Room [Amherst, NY] Amherst, NY
Bryn Mawr Film Institute Bryn Mawr, PA

underthefan

Great Northern Hotel
Apr 12, 2022
For those who may be interested, Sabrina Sutherland confirmed the upcoming Criterion releases of Lost Highway (date TBD) and Inland Empire (in 2023).

David Locke

RR Diner
Apr 12, 2022
For those who may be interested, Sabrina Sutherland confirmed the upcoming Criterion releases of Lost Highway (date TBD) and Inland Empire (in 2023).

So excited for this. I’ve been waiting for a Criterion Lost Highway for over a decade now, even bought the Kino blu (which was pretty faithful to how the prints I saw looked but still not perfect). This is gonna be great.

AXX°N N.

Waiting Room
Apr 14, 2022
Bummed IE is a year out but very excited! I'm super interested to see what they port from past releases--given that Lynch self-produced, I don't see what would stop them from porting everything over. Hoping to see 5 things: the easter egg deleted scene not hidden behind having to watch it through your PC, the trailer Lynch shot as an internet ad, the scene from the Room to Dream promo disc, Rabbits without omitting any of the episodes, and at least Darkened Room from Dynamic:01 (though it would be wonderful to see all of that ported as well). What I'm not expecting but would make it a dream come true release: content from DL.com that hasn't yet seen the light of day (I actually have a bit of hope for this because Lynch recently put one on his Youtube channel) and maybe some of his recent digital shorts (eg, Scissors). Also fun would be the IE-themed photoshoot Lynch did for Purple magazine as a booklet, though I bet that's locked behind rights issues.

As for how Criterion handles it presentation/essay-wise, I hope they stress background information on DL.com and how IE is a spiritual successor and outright sequel to the content curated there, the brunt of which would be substantiated by including the content itself. Really, Lynch already created a thorough Criterion Edition through the website and his own DVD, and that's what makes me hopeful they'll rely on that legwork. I'm actually far less interested in whatever new critic essay or talking head featurette they might produce as inferior replacement.

As for Lost Highway, I'm glad to see another version, as I think of his films it's suffered the most under careless transfers and presentations. It's also, perhaps not by coincidence, the Lynch film that's underwhelmed me the most consistently and perhaps I'll be won over this time with a faithful transfer.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
I’m hoping we finally get those Lost Highway deleted scenes!

Also, what is the “easter egg” deleted scene from IE? I’m embarrassed (but also excited) to say, this may be something I was totally unaware of!

EDIT: Oh, wow! It can be viewed on a standard player, but it’s convoluted as hell: Inland Empire Easter Egg - Secret Deleted Scene

Can’t believe I never knew about this, but what an unexpected surprise to get a bit of new material in the IE world tonight. Thanks for that!

Last edited:

Ickles

Waiting Room
Apr 12, 2022
As for Lost Highway, I'm glad to see another version, as I think of his films it's suffered the most under careless transfers and presentations. It's also, perhaps not by coincidence, the Lynch film that's underwhelmed me the most consistently and perhaps I'll be won over this time with a faithful transfer.
You've never seen it in a cinema, I'm guessing? It really is a different beast on a big screen and ESPECIALLY a big sound system. One of the most indelible, magical filmgoing experiences of my life was seeing LH on 35mm on the big screen back in the day. I highly recommend catching it at one of the 4K restoration screenings Sabrina mentioned are coming after the NYC premiere.

LateReg

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 12, 2022
Bummed IE is a year out but very excited! I'm super interested to see what they port from past releases--given that Lynch self-produced, I don't see what would stop them from porting everything over. Hoping to see 5 things: the easter egg deleted scene not hidden behind having to watch it through your PC, the trailer Lynch shot as an internet ad, the scene from the Room to Dream promo disc, Rabbits without omitting any of the episodes, and at least Darkened Room from Dynamic:01 (though it would be wonderful to see all of that ported as well). What I'm not expecting but would make it a dream come true release: content from DL.com that hasn't yet seen the light of day (I actually have a bit of hope for this because Lynch recently put one on his Youtube channel) and maybe some of his recent digital shorts (eg, Scissors). Also fun would be the IE-themed photoshoot Lynch did for Purple magazine as a booklet, though I bet that's locked behind rights issues.

As for how Criterion handles it presentation/essay-wise, I hope they stress background information on DL.com and how IE is a spiritual successor and outright sequel to the content curated there, the brunt of which would be substantiated by including the content itself. Really, Lynch already created a thorough Criterion Edition through the website and his own DVD, and that's what makes me hopeful they'll rely on that legwork. I'm actually far less interested in whatever new critic essay or talking head featurette they might produce as inferior replacement.

A couple things...

Criterion's treatment of Lynch thus far has been great for the film itself, but relatively light on new supplements. This extends to the booklets, which, unlike almost any other films in the Collection, never include any essays by critics. Usually, it's just excerpts from Lynch on Lynch or Room To Dream. All of this, including the lack of commentaries (he was able to shut down Kino's inclusion of a commentary on their Lost Highway disc), is undoubtedly linked to Lynch's desire to let the work speak for itself. So, I'm not sure what to expect regarding new supplements relating to his most obscure work.

Especially when there are so many existing supplements to pull from. I hope for the same inclusions you do, as well as some additional content from the website, along with that musical ad showing off the digital element that predated the film. And while I would assume that More Things That Happened is a given since Lynch is so heavily involved (I wonder if it's remastered, too), it's worth pointing out that that feature, to the best of my knowledge, was only available on the US DVD release of the film. It seems so integral and part of the INLAND EMPIRE experience, but it was not available on disc in any other country (or at least not in Germany or the UK, two discs that I own).

Which is all to say, I expect most if not all of the preexisting features from the Absurda 2-disc set to be ported over, and hopefully more including Rabbits, but one never knows. This really could be a great opportunity to package a lot of bonus material, from web shorts to documentaries, to help sell an underseen film, but I'm just not sure if that will happen.

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
It’s worth noting that Criterion’s Eraserhead Blu Ray included all the contents of Lynch’s self-released “Short Films” DVD, except for ‘The Cowboy and the Frenchmen’ (which felt like an understandably strategic omission). So there’s some precedent for a similar short film dump on an INLAND EMPIRE release. Not that I think it’s inevitable or anything, but I do think it’s well within the realm of possibility.

LateReg

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 12, 2022
It’s worth noting that Criterion’s Eraserhead Blu Ray included all the contents of Lynch’s self-released “Short Films” DVD, except for ‘The Cowboy and the Frenchmen’ (which felt like an understandably strategic omission). So there’s some precedent for a similar short film dump on an INLAND EMPIRE release. Not that I think it’s inevitable or anything, but I do think it’s well within the realm of possibility.
Very true, but that short films DVD was always associated with Eraserhead in the first place -- I got the special edition of Eraserhead that came with the short films off of Lynch's website in the early 2000s. Criterion/Lynch have really been repackaging what's already in existence, for the most part, which is why I'd expect mostly a repeat of the Absurda discs, give or take. But if there is more that Lynch wishes to preserve from the website, INLAND EMPIRE is certainly the place to do it, which wouldn't be far off from repackaging, anyway. Crazy Clown Time video, too, please.

Last edited:

Mr. Reindeer

White Lodge
Apr 13, 2022
Very true, but that short films DVD was always associated with Eraserhead in the first place -- I got the special edition of Eraserhead that came with the short films off of Lynch's website in the early 2000s. Criterion/Lynch have really been repackaging what's already in existence, for the most part, which is why I'd expect mostly a repeat of the Absurda discs, give or take. But if there is more that Lynch wishes to preserve from the website, INLAND EMPIRE is certainly the place to do it. Crazy Clown Time video, too, please.
True. But at a bare minimum, I could see the Absurda Dynamic:01 material being included...or not. It still infuriates me that the Eraserhead Criterion release omits the deleted “torture” scene with Catherine Coulson, and the brief few shots of the dead cat from the Absurda DVD menu. You can never throw away any Lynch release, because there’s always SOMETHING included that you won’t find on any subsequent release.

AXX°N N.

Waiting Room
Apr 14, 2022
Can’t believe I never knew about this, but what an unexpected surprise to get a bit of new material in the IE world tonight. Thanks for that!
I ended up being super thorough thinking I might have been filling others in on a few things--happy to return the favor, since you've brought plenty to my attention before!

It still infuriates me that the Eraserhead Criterion release omits the deleted “torture” scene with Catherine Coulson, and the brief few shots of the dead cat from the Absurda DVD menu. You can never throw away any Lynch release, because there’s always SOMETHING included that you won’t find on any subsequent release.
Yup, speaking of which, I'm hoping Lost Highway has Pretty as a Picture included as a feature, since it's largely about Lost Highway. It'd be a shame for it to be relegated to DVD obscurity, and Lost Highway is certainly wanting for supplements.

along with that musical ad showing off the digital element that predated the film
Do you mean the scene from the Room to Dream promo disc where they sing "It Happened"?

You've never seen it in a cinema, I'm guessing? It really is a different beast on a big screen and ESPECIALLY a big sound system. One of the most indelible, magical filmgoing experiences of my life was seeing LH on 35mm on the big screen back in the day. I highly recommend catching it at one of the 4K restoration screenings Sabrina mentioned are coming after the NYC premiere.
I haven't, but testimony from others about the theater experience is why I have it in mind as being undermined by bad home media releases.

Last edited:

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
And while I would assume that More Things That Happened is a given since Lynch is so heavily involved (I wonder if it's remastered, too), it's worth pointing out that that feature, to the best of my knowledge, was only available on the US DVD release of the film. It seems so integral and part of the INLAND EMPIRE experience, but it was not available on disc in any other country (or at least not in Germany or the UK, two discs that I own).
I still haven't been able to find it and watch it. I wasn't even aware until now that it's 75 minutes long - it's basically a David Lynch feature film that I've never seen! Sounds sort of like The Missing Pieces.

Does Nastassja Kinski have more screen time in it? I have seen some stills which would suggest it. It's a shame Lynch didn't use her more in the film itself, it's hard to even notice that it's her.

Rainwater

RR Diner
Apr 11, 2022
I still haven't been able to find it and watch it. I wasn't even aware until now that it's 75 minutes long - it's basically a David Lynch feature film that I've never seen! Sounds sort of like The Missing Pieces.

Does Nastassja Kinski have more screen time in it? I have seen some stills which would suggest it. It's a shame Lynch didn't use her more in the film itself, it's hard to even notice that it's her.
It's on YouTube. In horrendous quality, of course, but hey. It's definitely worth watching. It has some GREAT scenes. The one that's the most memorable one to me is pretty early on.
And yeah, she has a scene with Dern.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
It's on YouTube. In horrendous quality, of course, but hey. It's definitely worth watching. It has some GREAT scenes. The one that's the most memorable one to me is pretty early on.
And yeah, she has a scene with Dern.
Thank you so much for this! I guess I didn't even think of checking on YouTube 😳 I'll watch it soon!

I'm also very happy to hear that there's some real footage of Kinski in a Lynch film.

Rainwater

RR Diner
Apr 11, 2022
No problem!

I guess I didn't even think of checking on YouTube 😳
Yeah I know, sometimes it's been the last place I look too. Definitely worth a search there if you're trying to find even the most obscure stuff. It's surprising what can be found there, sometimes even things that are impossible to find elsewhere.

Stavrogyn

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
Definitely worth a search there if you're trying to find even the most obscure stuff. It's surprising what can be found there, sometimes even things that are impossible to find elsewhere.
True, I found some obscure Carl Theodor Dreyer films on YouTube and similar sites that I wasn't able to find anywhere else. But generally, I tend to forget about it completely.

AXX°N N.

Waiting Room
Apr 14, 2022
Back in the day, I was thrilled when I found out the woman at the end is her and how strange that is, then especially thrilled when I found out it's because a scene of hers was cut and that it was available on DVD. I love her scene and it feels like it was the seed of the idea for the RR patron scenes in The Return.