FWWM 3.5 Hr Cut Screening

thunderclap

RR Diner
Apr 12, 2022
It looks like a theater in Philly is going to be screening the 3.5 hr cut of FWWM. Is this a newly cut version by Lynch, or is the theater using one of the fan edits out there? If the latter, I'd be curious if Lynch has approved it. (My guess is probably not.)

Last edited:

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
That's... interesting.

I wonder if it's approved by the rights holders and/or Lynch.

Ickles

White Lodge
Apr 12, 2022
I asked around to some folks, who in my opinion would probably know what's up with this, and the answer seems to be that it's unsanctioned. Looks like it's most likely a fan-cut kind of thing being thrown on the big screen. Not something official is the impression I'm getting.

Tulpa

Bureau HQ
TULPA MOD
ADMIN
Apr 11, 2022
I asked around to some folks, who in my opinion would probably know what's up with this, and the answer seems to be that it's unsanctioned. Looks like it's most likely a fan-cut kind of thing being thrown on the big screen. Not something official is the impression I'm getting.

Fantastic. They're charging for it, too. I wonder if it'll be nipped in the bud by the powers that be.

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
For me, the only extension I've ever wanted to see in FWWM is the scene on the stairs where Laura's saying 'Who are you?' and starts to smile like BOB. An amazing scene that deserved to remain in the film.

It looks like someone convinced the venue to screen a fan edit. I'm surprised it was advertised so blatantly: if it's a fan edit, I can understand it being held as a private screening and the charge only being for hire of the venue. I see it's been cancelled anyway.

Howdy Jowdy

RR Diner
Apr 19, 2022
Fantastic. They're charging for it, too. I wonder if it'll be nipped in the bud by the powers that be.
Getting a 404 error with that link now. I guess they're either gonna do an underground showing of this fan edit or they got a cease and desist order.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I saw a combined FWWM + Missing Pieces cut online years ago. It didn't really work for me at the time, although I wouldn't mind a combined edit that chops it all up into 4 individual chapters or episodes. Having the heavy Laura stuff broken up by scenes with Pete and Josie was jarring in a kind of Season 3 way.

Dom

White Lodge
Jul 10, 2022
I saw a combined FWWM + Missing Pieces cut online years ago. It didn't really work for me at the time, although I wouldn't mind a combined edit that chops it all up into 4 individual chapters or episodes. Having the heavy Laura stuff broken up by scenes with Pete and Josie was jarring in a kind of Season 3 way.
Yes, in many ways, the FWWM complete screenplay (which was doing the rounds for a good 20 years before the Missing Pieces was released) was a lot more like Season Three. I'm actually surprised we didn't get an episodic edit of FWWM with the Missing Pieces reintegrated as an overture to Season Three. It might actually have made Season Three a less jarring watch first time as the style of a long version of the film would have prepared people.

I've said in the past that I'm glad most of the Missing Pieces weren't in the theatrical film, which is for me a masterpiece, with the exception of the extended Laura stairwell scene, which is one of the greatest cut moments from any film I've watched and I would gladly pay out for yet another Blu-ray release just to see it put back in there! ;) That was a truly great horror moment and the combination of cinematography and Sheryl Lee's performance was perfection.

Cappy

White Lodge
Aug 4, 2022
I also like the scene with Dr. Hayward. It has weird playful sadness about it. And I appreciate the phone call with Jacoby, as it compounds the fact that Laura has no one to turn to.

eyeboogers

Glastonbury Grove
Apr 14, 2022
Agreed, the Hayward sequence is wonderful and would have fit in seamlessly. Also, the Buenos Aires part of the Jeffries scene should have been kept in. I imagine that chopping down that scene so heavily could have been one of the last things that happened, in order to bring FWWM down to the maximum running time allowed by the studio.